Bought a foreclosure that included a 33,000 gallon, p.i.t.a., frog hatchery

I'd follow kimkats advice of adding about 3/4 of reccomended chemicals. I think you'll quickly get to know if you are under shooting or overshooting based on your calculated size when you retest after adding chemicals.

My "I hate math" method was to test FC, add chlorine, short while after test FC again. Put those in pool math as current and target, then play with the pool size until the recommended amount equals what you actually put in :) You'll be consuming chlorine, but 15 minutes or so for it to mix it wouldn't be off all that much I think.

Slam is under way, was able to get an early start. Already down to 1ppm cc and maintaining FC reasonably well. I think my biggest loss was 2ppm over 6 hours. I'm running low on chlorine tho and looking at using some home depot gift cards to grab some more on the way home tonight, which poses my next question. Germicidal bleach? Any difference aside from labeling? I know to avoid splash less and scented, but I don't think I've seen anything about the "Germicidal" on the forums. I'm fairly certain it's just a marketing gimmick, but don't want to put unnecessary chems in the pool.

As far as I can tell it is JUST bleach with the extra words.........BUT if you can find some without those words buy it. You can buy Store brand bleach as well. Just make sure it has the % on it. If it does not it is not worth your time or money.

Kim:cat:

As far as I can tell it is JUST bleach with the extra words.........BUT if you can find some without those words buy it. You can buy Store brand bleach as well. Just make sure it has the % on it. If it does not it is not worth your time or money.

Thanks, Kim. By the way, the picture looking into the steps deal was something I saw in another thread and if I remember correctly it was a suggestion of yours. Made good sense as a method to track how much clarity you're achieving, so thanks for that too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're talking about the HDX bleach at Home Depot with the Orange caps, I think it's just regular bleach. I did a mini-slam with that stuff and it worked like a champ. It felt a little viscous, and I wondered if it was splash less, but it never foamed or anything weird, and it worked great, so there's no harm in it I don't think.

So I just tested FC and cc, with 23 and .5ppm respectively. Pretty excited about those numbers but the water is still cloudy and bluish green. I brush regularly and thoroughly for approximately an hour each time, and I have no ladders in there for algae hiding spots. The light probably could come apart and be checked out, but I can't see all that well to do so. Would I be jumping the gun by doing a oclt? The cloudiness is really getting under my skin at this point and I really wish I could just see my pool... if I do pass the oclt, do I still need to maintain shock level? Or am I safe to come back down to maintenance target levels? I don't want to rush the slam along but if I could make the bleach I bought last a bit longer I'd be thrilled.

just remember to keep an eye on filter pressure if you add the DE, and raise the water level before adding it.
You'll be backwashing and lowering your CYA so keep the FC target at what you're original CYA level is and sort that out as the process continues
for your 20x40 pool (assuming these are guestimate numbers) you remove 498 gallons of water for every inch of change

Just multiply your length(ft) X width(ft) X water level drop(in)x .6233
gallon/cu-ft of water is 7.48/12"/ft=0.623

Sorry couldn't find that calculator spreadsheet but if things are slow I can whip up a new one -no need to break out the abacus

Yeah the pics of the steps is something I do ask for so everyone can watch it clear up.

You are not ready for a OCLT yet.......still too cloudy......wait until you can see the head of your brush at least in the deep end.

I LOVE the idea of the DE in the sand filter. Just make sure to be able to baby sit it for a little while to see how much your filter likes. Some like this much some like that much. Add it 1/4 cup at a time and watch the gauge. If it shoots up turn off the pump and do a back wash.

Here is some POP ( pool owners patience) :cheers:

Thanks for the replies everyone! Marian, I know, patience is usually one of my strong points. Just frustrated from almost two seasons of wasted money and time. Basod, your math blew my mind... but I like it. Kim, I also like the idea of d.e. in the filter, however, my pressure gauge seems to only like the number 15 and 0. I guess I should look into that before I pour the little critter shells in there. Anyone ever experienced that before? I've been monitoring my returns and skimmer function as a means of backwash indicator so far to avoid the trip to the pool store for a new gauge.

It does go back to zero which is the part that confuses me. I even had a lateral come out of its socket and the pressure never changed. It's off at zero and on at 15/17psi. Also, thanks to your recommendation to turn the pump off, I was able to save a little tiny field mouse from the cloudy depths of my pool. Good karma don't fail me now!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.