Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a foreclosure that included a 33,000 gallon, p.i.t.a., frog hatchery

1. Back To Top    #1

Bought a foreclosure that included a 33,000 gallon, p.i.t.a., frog hatchery

My wife and I closed on a very neglected home last June, next to said neglected home was a very neglected pool. In my initial attempt to clean the pool I was able to remove roughly 300lbs of leaves and debris and one very unhappy snapping turtle. Before I got everything cleared up in ran into an electrical issue and had to shut the process down. Fast forward roughly a year and I was back at it armed with the electrical components (and knowledge) I needed to have it up and running properly again. A couple trips to the pool store later and I was still staring into a cloudy green/black looking mess, which lead me to this magnificent little corner of the interwebs. I ditched all of the information given to me at the junior college prep station, I mean pool store, and started pumping in the chlorine and trying to convince the wife that a $70 Taylor k2006 was indeed necessary. I'm here today to say that I have already accomplished the hardest part of my pool journey (getting money from the ball and chain) and my kit should be here in a matter of days. I'm very excited to start this process and see some real results. I'd like to post some pictures of how far I've already come but I have NO clue how to do so, maybe that could be the first assist in receive from the great TFP members. I won't even bother posting my chem results until I receive the proper test kits, unless you'd like to try and decipher a hth 6 way kit and 6 way test strips at what I'm assuming is around shock levels
    40x20 in ground, 33,000 gal, vinyl liner, Hayward 300lb pro series sand filter, Hayward 1.5hp super pump, aquabot xtreme, chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bought a foreclosure that included a 33,000 gallon, p.i.t.a., frog hatchery

Uploading them to Photobucket and then just pasting in the IMG code it provides works well. Here's the tutorial on it.

Posting Photo's Tutorial

And welcome to TFP
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks much for the quick response, I'll try and get them up a.s.a.p.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5265 View Post
    My wife and I closed on a very neglected home last June, next to said neglected home was a very neglected pool. In my initial attempt to clean the pool I was able to remove roughly 300lbs of leaves and debris and one very unhappy snapping turtle. Before I got everything cleared up in ran into an electrical issue and had to shut the process down. Fast forward roughly a year and I was back at it armed with the electrical components (and knowledge) I needed to have it up and running properly again. A couple trips to the pool store later and I was still staring into a cloudy green/black looking mess, which lead me to this magnificent little corner of the interwebs. I ditched all of the information given to me at the junior college prep station, I mean pool store, and started pumping in the chlorine and trying to convince the wife that a $70 Taylor k2006 was indeed necessary. I'm here today to say that I have already accomplished the hardest part of my pool journey (getting money from the ball and chain) and my kit should be here in a matter of days. I'm very excited to start this process and see some real results. I'd like to post some pictures of how far I've already come but I have no #$(#(^ clue how to do so, maybe that could be the first assist in receive from the great TFP members. I won't even bother posting my chem results until I receive the proper test kits, unless you'd like to try and decipher a hth 6 way kit and 6 way test strips at what I'm assuming is around shock levels
    Barring any further equipment hurdles.......I have confidence that you can turn a mess into a sparkling pool since you're willing to learn.

My hurdle wasn't convincing hubby to buy a test kit, it was convincing him we needed to build a pool. And just this year (5 years after build) when somebody complimented it he said "that's her baby.......I think she likes keeping it in perfect order for the rest of us more than she enjoys swimming in it"

She will be singing your praises when you get it cleaned up using proper testing and dosing.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The longer you wait to order a kit we can trust, the longer it will take to get meaningful advice. Let's get going and get your pool crystal clear the rest of the season.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

40x20 in ground, 33,000 gal, vinyl liner, Hayward 300lb pro series sand filter, Hayward 1.5hp super pump, aquabot xtreme, chlorine

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

As long as equipment is in good shape, that just looks like a fun challenge to me.......not a PITA

9. Back To Top    #9

Obviously the first picture is after I got it topped off, second is where I'm at currently, and my Taylor k2006 should be here by Tuesday at the latest

10. Back To Top    #10

Good job ordering the kit. The wife will be happy to have a sparkling pool!

You can measure with your 6-way test, (not strips), and post those results. You still need the good kit, but it will give us a starting point.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, here's last night's numbers
    TC: turned orange, I'm trying to keep a good amount of chlorine in there
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 120
    CH: not registering, not worried yet (should I be?)
    CYA: was at 30 last I checked, ran out of reagent and haven't been adding any powder or pucks.
    I cross referenced with strips, I know they're not accurate or suggested but I had them, shoot me. Everything "looks" to be in order, but I know looks can be deceiving without a proper test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

The thing that gets me the most is the complete lack of knowledge shown by some of the pool stores and professionals I've spoken to. Hence the p.i.t.a. line. The run around I've been given has been one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I've been told to drain, flock, clarify, revive, every costly trick up their sleeves was thrown at me. I was told by our resident pool store expert NOT to put chlorine in the pool, but to hook 2 $40 dollar a piece bottles of revive (worthless for me) to the hose, spray pool and leave the filter off for 48 hours. All that did was waste 2 days of my season and bring in more algae growth.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

For some reason, most people don't hold pool stores accountable for the resulting mess. I still don't know why.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

14. Back To Top    #14

My coworkers keep telling me what a pain and how expensive pools are. Its my first summer and thus far I've been averaging about $3-6 a week in chlorine and thats about it. I spend more then that on lunch in the office cafeteria. Of course one of these people told me their pool was still green a couple of weeks ago. Knock on wood, these are some smart people and should get you off on the right foot.
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Just think how beautiful that pool is gonna be!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5265 View Post
    The thing that gets me the most is the complete lack of knowledge shown by some of the pool stores and professionals I've spoken to. Hence the p.i.t.a. line. The run around I've been given has been one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I've been told to drain, flock, clarify, revive, every costly trick up their sleeves was thrown at me. I was told by our resident pool store expert NOT to put chlorine in the pool, but to hook 2 $40 dollar a piece bottles of revive (worthless for me) to the hose, spray pool and leave the filter off for 48 hours. All that did was waste 2 days of my season and bring in more algae growth.

Ok.....so it sounds like it is good you found us. Once your test kit arrives, you'll most likely be in total control of your pool. You'll need lots of bleach but you can do it. Keep reading in pool school.

17. Back To Top    #17

YAY!!! We like pictures Looks like you already have a leg up on it and a good start. Once you have test kit in hand and know the laundry isle employees personally from bleach runs your wife will be happy to finally use the dang pool!

Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

18. Back To Top    #18

Great! That is an excellent start! Keep scooping crud out and brushing until that testkit arrives Tuesday.

PH is perfect unless your FC is too high. If you get back in yellow range on FC, test the pH again.

The TA is just fine for now.

If CYA was at 30 with no additional pucks or packets, that is perfect!

For gags you could check your CH just to make sure where it is.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks, Marian. I tried to check hardness but the indicator failed to.... well, indicate I guess. Assuming this means either too low for the hth test to register or my chlorine levels are throwing off my results. I don't have any equipment i.e. heater or ladders in the pool as of yet so I'm not too concerned about damaging those items. I'm assuming high ch would lead to cloudiness, are there any other negative impacts for low ch?

20. Back To Top    #20

Really high CH is rare in a vinyl pool unless the former owners used a whole bunch of cal-hypo or something. TFP says that a level of 0 is fine for vinyl. I have mine at 60 just because the former recommendation was for a minimum of 50. It doesn't really hurt anything.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast