Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae on the bottom of AG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Eaton Rapids

Algae on the bottom of AG pool

I was gone for a couple weeks for work and my wife did her best to upkeep the pool but when I got back it was pretty bad :/
    The first thing I did was SLAM and the water is looking MUCH clearer now BUT I the floor of the pool is covered in dark green algae. I tried to vacuum it up but it only made a dent. It seems to be stuck pretty good!
    I don't currently have a brush but I can buy one from Wal-Mart if needed. I'm wondering if there is a chemical or something I can put in to help eat up that algae?

Any help is appreciated!
    7600 gallons AG. Hayward Sand filter. Taylor k-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Algae on the bottom of AG pool

You need regular bleach and follow the SLAM instructions to the letter (link below). Let us know if you have any questions. Have a great weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW, Iowa

Don't have a brush??

A brush is a required tool for proper pool care!

I brush my walls at least every couple days and hit the floor 1-2 times a week. You must brush the surface to tear up and expose fresh algae, that allows the chlorine to attack and kill it. To do a real good job you probably need to just get right in there and brush, then vac up the stuff you get loose. Probably won't be a one time process to get rid of this. I would keep the FC level on the upper end, does not sound like you are truly done with your SLAM.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day
    Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP2 timer on 2.5 hr/day
    Taylor K-2600 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Columbia, SC

You have a good test kit, no it's time to read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
    • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    • The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon