Gold Supporter
May 12, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So i was thinking about adding some salt to get a better feel to the water and less irritation to the eyes.

Before adding salt i took a water sample to Leslie's for a starting level. I was expecting about 1000 ppm, just a guess. They tested 2000. The first test i think was a conductivity meter, but not sure. He also checked it again using some device that had a small bowl on it into which the water sample was poured. It may also have been a conductivity meter. I'm not sure but i also think he checked a 3000 ppm std. In any case, a base level of 2000 ppm seems a little high for a non swg pool just converted to chlorine from baquacil this spring. I may have added 750 ppm from chlorine additions (poolmath calc). still.

Does 2000 ppm seem high to anyone else for not having added any salt? Thanks.

Both liquid chlorine and muriatic acid add salt to your water. So 2000ppm is not out of the ordinary. That said, DO NOT TRUST pool store testing. The electronic meter they used is probably not well calibrated and the hydrometer used (the bowl thingy) is very inaccurate at low salinity (they're used mainly in reef fish tanks where the salinity is 10X higher).

Get your own salt test kit or strips and test your water yourself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.