Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: site recommendation vs manufacturor for CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

site recommendation vs manufacturor for CYA

Intex owner's manual says 10 to 50 ppm for CYA, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs says 70 to 80.

Instinct tells me to split the difference and use ~ 60. LOL

I am curious why the discrepancy and if that higher number is more intended for "real" equipment. Does it matter in terms of equipment life or anything like that?
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: site recommendation vs manufacturor for CYA

Yes, the higher CYA will enable the SWG to run less.

Starting at 60 is not a bad idea. You don't want to overshoot CYA anyway.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Although given your location, if the pool is the in the sun, you would be better off on the higher end for the CYA
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks, mgmoore7! and howdy, neighbor jblizzle - I think the way I have been going through chlorine, my levels were too low anyway, but after yesterday and today's rain things have gotten more diluted!

need to see if I can remember where I stashed that jar of stabilizer now...hmmm
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer