Chlorine good but ALGAE?!?!

May 1, 2013
Help straighten me out on something. We have a SWG that is working fine. Chlorine level is at 6.5 right now. PH at 7.6. CYA at 70-80. Everything seemed fine. There was a tinge of cloudiness a few days ago but I ran pump overnight and felt good about how clear it was. But, it wasn't crystal clear. Now, with all levels in check, we feel like algae is setting in. Chlorine level has been good for several days. We never let it get to nothing. My question; is it possible that a tinge of algae was hanging out and, even though chlorine levels are fine, it is able to start growing and producing an all out algae bloom? Obviously, we bring out levels up to shock levels when we want to kill algae. This may be my answer. Normal chlorine levels can maintain pool water but it takes SLAM level chlorine to get rid of algae. ??? I appreciate the help.

Help straighten me out on something. We have a SWG that is working fine. Chlorine level is at 6.5 right now. PH at 7.6. CYA at 70-80. Everything seemed fine. There was a tinge of cloudiness a few days ago but I ran pump overnight and felt good about how clear it was. But, it wasn't crystal clear. Now, with all levels in check, we feel like algae is setting in. Chlorine level has been good for several days. We never let it get to nothing. My question; is it possible that a tinge of algae was hanging out and, even though chlorine levels are fine, it is able to start growing and producing an all out algae bloom? Obviously, we bring out levels up to shock levels when we want to kill algae. This may be my answer. Normal chlorine levels can maintain pool water but it takes SLAM level chlorine to get rid of algae. ??? I appreciate the help.

I would suspect that with an SWG you may have let the chlorine drop below your target inadvertently that would allow algae to start (it happens to me when things heat up).

Yes, SLAM level to kill it or really, the algae causes your chlorine to be consumed faster......thereby falling more. SLAM level is calculated so that your chlorine is killing algae faster than it reproduces.

As yippee asked, how are you testing? A good test kit is a must have. And if that is what you have, maybe you could do an overnight free chlorine loss test to confirm algae or something in there consuming your chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.