New house, pool problems

Pr0FiT

Jul 1, 2016
Fresno CA
We just bought a house that has a salt water pool, I'm a little overwhelmed with how to maintain it and I think something may be wrong with the filter. I'm pretty sure all the parts were working when we closed but there was a two week period before we moved in and now it seems like something is wrong
So, first all the parts we have:

• Hayward Pro Logic control panel
  • Hayward Ecostar pump
  • Stra-rite system 3 filtration (this is the filter)
  • Solar panel for heating
The control panel displays several errors and the check system light is on

1. Pool VSC Comm
  2. Very low salt
  3. Solar sensor open
#1 seems to be related to the pump. The pump itself does not indicate any problem but I have no idea if it's even working, I haven't seen it come on.
#2 would mean I need a new cell? I've watched some vids on how to change it, seems easy enough, except those large plastic nuts, or whatever they're called, are impossible to get off, couldn't even to get them to budge. I might be able to get them off with some channel locks but I'm worried that would tear them up since they're plastic.
#3 no clue, please help :(
Additionally
The filter thing (I'm guessing that's what it is) shows zero psi...maybe thats normal since the pump isn't working?
Also, there doesn't seem to be any water in the solar lines. I opened the values and just air came out (both in and out lines)
Where do I go from here? Thank you all in advance for any help you can offer.

Welcome to the TFP website! You've come to the right place for advice and help keeping your pool clean and clear. I'm not an expert, but I'll bet one will chime in soon.

First things first, do you have an owner's manual for any of the pool equipment? If not, do a Google search for those manuals so you can decode the control panel errors. Second, are all the electrical connections and circuit breakers to your pool equipment ON?

I'm guessing the "pool VSC comm" means the pool pump Variable Speed Control communications is not working. Check all the connections to/from the control panel. Do you know the age of the salt water chlorine generator (commonly called an "SWG")cell? They last 3-5 years under normal circumstances. The "very low salt" warning may simply be because of the other errors. The "solar sensor open" also sounds like an error due to disconnected wires or damaged cables. The filter reading "0 psi"is due to the pump not running. There should be no pressure in your filter when the pump is off.

Please read this article before posting your next question: Pool School - Getting Started

Hang in there! We're here to help! :thumleft:

I have all the manuals, last owner was nice enough to pass them on. I did thumb through them, other than a general indication of what the problem related too, they didn't really help.

Breakers on, everything is getting power.

I don't know the age of the cell, I went back out and looked for a date stamp or whatever on it but couldn't find one...it doesn't look too old though (not sun-worn). Interestingly, the control panel read 0ppm for the last level...this can't be accurate can it? We swam last week and you can taste salt in the water.

I found on the pump, its set up on the "pool filter" comm channel and it's status is a-ok but no matter what buttons I mash the pump won't come on (quick clean, speed 1-5 buttons). Accoring to the timers it should be pumping water to the solar panels now for heating, but it's not doing anything.

All the visable wires look fine. I can crack open that control box and see whats what on the inside though.

I have all the manuals, last owner was nice enough to pass them on. I did thumb through them, other than a general indication of what the problem related too, they didn't really help.

Breakers on, everything is getting power.

I don't know the age of the cell, I went back out and looked for a date stamp or whatever on it but couldn't find one...it doesn't look too old though (not sun-worn). Interestingly, the control panel read 0ppm for the last level...this can't be accurate can it? We swam last week and you can taste salt in the water.

I found on the pump, its set up on the "pool filter" comm channel and it's status is a-ok but no matter what buttons I mash the pump won't come on (quick clean, speed 1-5 buttons). Accoring to the timers it should be pumping water to the solar panels now for heating, but it's not doing anything.

All the visable wires look fine. I can crack open that control box and see whats what on the inside though.

When you get a chance, please fill out the signature data (see mine below in blue font) for this forum. It helps immensely when giving advice to know exactly (brand and model number) what pool equipment and what size pool you have! Additionally, attach pictures to your next post of each piece of your equipment (including the display of your control panel).

As far as the SWG showing "0 ppm" goes, it is very likely the SWG is not communicating with your control panel. I've seen this with my Pentair equipment. The SWG only "guesstimates" the amount of salt in your water so it isn't very accurate. To get a true reading you'll need a Taylor K-1766 test kit. Even that kit is only good to +/- 200 ppm!

Are there circuit breakers in your control panel for the individual pieces of equipment? If so, turn each of those OFF, then cycle the power (circuit breakers) to the control panel (turn it off, wait 30-60 seconds and turn it back on). After the control panel has power back, reset the individual breakers back to ON, one at a time. Hopefully this will get the communications back to your pump and SWG. If that doesn't work, look for any fuses or hidden circuit breakers (button type) on the individual pieces of pool equipment.

If none of that works, and everything is getting power (pump, SWG, etc.) your control panel may have a bad motherboard. Remove power from your control panel and open it to see if there is any evidence of electrical arcing, melted plastic, burnt smell, etc. Also, if you can determine the age of the panel, you may still have a warranty. It's worth a try!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.