Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me just heat my overflow spa.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me just heat my overflow spa.

Trying to figure out to just heat spa with out overflow flowing into pool. Here's some pics

- - - Updated - - -

Starting from top left
    Water fall/water fall return
    Spa return

Skim/main drain

Spa suction.

Thanks in advance!!!
    20x40 rectangle, 28,500 gallons, Vinyl liner, Hayward cartridge filter VSP, Hayward aqua connect automation, connected spa with overflow, Hayward heater, automatic cover, TF100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me just heat my overflow spa.

On drain side close everything except the spa drain.
    On return side, close everything except Spa return.

That will cause 100% circulation of the spa only. Nothing coming from or going into pool.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

If you only allow return flow to go to the spa and only allow suction to come from the spa, that would do it. So... the handle between the waterfall and the spa returns would be closed to both waterfall returns (handle toward the spa return). Then the 3 way suction valve on the far right would only be open to the spa suction (handle toward the spa suction). Configured this way you would have NO flow to your pool at all.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Turn both of these valves 180 degrees. You want both of them the EXACT opposite of what is pictured here (which is fully closed)

Suck side:

Return Side:

25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, you guys are the best!!!
    20x40 rectangle, 28,500 gallons, Vinyl liner, Hayward cartridge filter VSP, Hayward aqua connect automation, connected spa with overflow, Hayward heater, automatic cover, TF100 kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Did it work? Or did you not get a chance to try it yet? Reason I ask is because the success of our instructions will be based on your pipes being labeled correctly.....

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes worked great!!!!!! Thanks again all who replied

8. Back To Top    #8

Sweet. Enjoy the holiday weekend.