Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I doing something wrong?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I doing something wrong?

Background: Didn't open pool until a couple of weeks ago, then realized my sand tank cap was off so lost water after putting in CYA. Found cap, refilled pool, tested & adjusted. Scooped thousands of tadpoles out & have kept pool at shock level for this entire time, keeping pump on recirculating during the cap snafu. I've really only been filtering since last Sunday, so that's 5 days. Tested CYA Wednesday & got a reading of a little over 20 so circulated some more then per pool math. Here are my numbers & a picture today:

FC: 10 (adjusted back up before posting per pool math)
    CC: 1
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 130
    CH: 0
    CYA: adjusted to 35 on Thursday, but did have some rain & have backwashed 5 X since then.

I STILL can't see bottom of pool & I lost my vacuum head in the water . I can see halfway down now & couldn't see that last week so I know I'm making some progress. What should I be expecting? I think I've cleared all the leaves, etc. off the bottom, but I also can't get the vacuum to work-not sure if I have a faulty hose or what but I'm crabby with my daughter & think the pool is probably causing some stress-lol!

24 x 52 intex AG round with well water-water has no issues with rust or other contaminants
    2800 GPH Intex sand filter pump
    Located in Missouri

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I doing something wrong?

Definitely stick with the instructions and methods noted on the SLAM page (link below). Can you confirm please what test kit you have?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TF100. I'm following instructions-just not sure if still not seeing the bottom would be normal.
    24 x 52 intex AG round with well water-water has no issues with rust or other contaminants
    Located in Missouri

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The SLAM process clears thousands of pools each season. There is no reason it won't clear yours. It sounds like you have had a lot of starts and stops. The SLAM process works best as one continuous application of chlorine until your pool is crystal clear.

Review the SLAM article and stay with it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Right... and like Dave said ... consistency and maintain the proper SLAM FC level is key. You might want to confirm your CYA again in the next day or two. If it's 30, SLAM FC is 12. If it's 40 ( or 35 & above), then FC SLAM is 16. Just adjust accordingly. Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, guys! I thought it took a week for the CYA to read accurately. Should I dose based on what I set the level on in poolmath? Like for the amount of CYA I should have after it dissolves but before it reads? TIA again!
    Located in Missouri

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, dose chlorine based on what you expect it to be. CYA can be tested 24 hours after it is dissolved from the sock. More here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach