Main Drain NOT Centered!

May 1, 2016
Abington, PA
Main%20drain%203_zpsyol9cu1d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Hi All,

Pool guys came this week and started the plumbing. I came home from work and noticed that the main drain is about a foot away from the old drain, which was located in the deepest part of the pool. PB on the phone tried to dance around it and get me to accept it. Judging by the pictures what are your opinions? Am I wrong to insist that they dig it up and move it over a foot?

Also...PB told me that all the plumbing from the pool to the equipment was being replaced with 2" PVC but the sub doing the plumbing had only 1.5" on his truck. They are coming back tomorrow with the 2". Would 2" be overkill on a 17,000 gallon pool? Or would 1.5" have been good enough? (PB is installing a new 450' Hayward cartridge filter with a Hayward Maxflo VS 1.5 HP.)

- - - Updated - - -

Main%20drain%202_zpshth2oict.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Main%20drain%201_zpsycgpyiva.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That wouldn't bother me and I am pretty nuts about things. You are noticing it more now because the small puddle is showing you where the true center is. Once the finish is on the pool and it is filled, I doubt it will catch your eye. Is this a rebuild? What do you mean by "where the old drain was"?

If they are offering to switch to 2", run with it. Not overkill IMHO.

When I had my pool built, I insisted on 2.5" or 3" plumbing from the pool to the equipment pad because they are far apart. If he promised you 2", you should insist on 2" drain not 1.5. 2" drain has about a 43% more capacity than a 1.5" drain.

As other have mentioned, the main drain should be dual drain and symmetrical. It would drive me nuts. I don't care if the "old" drain was in the way. They are paid a lot of money to do it correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, clearly not code-compliant. Since it has to be changed anyway, I'l get a rectangular one instead of the round ones. They look better and don't have the lip that the round ones all have. That means you can scoot debris into it easier vs it just catching on the lip.

Bonus - I just found the best main drain out there (IMO). It is rectangular as mentioned above, but it also allows you to have a pebble/plaster finish on the main cover to make it very unobtrusive. They also have options for vinyl liners as well.

http://www.poolfittings.com/channel-pebble-top/

Same concept as the Pour-a-lid skimmer covers which we have.

Yeah, probably not cheap, but I'm pretty open-minded regarding pricing on things that have a big visual impact (or are high quality). I'd go 2 or 3 Franklin's for something that nice looking regardless of what it really should cost being plastic. They had to design it well which has a cost. And its made in the USA!

I had to use 4 drains because of the separate feature pump. They were to be in a row evenly spaced apart but as usual with much of the PB's work did not come out as planned. Made him fix it and reluctantly he did.

Re: the pebble/plaster finish on main drain covers mentioned:
My PB promised and put in writing to do this and I thought I would be getting those special covers.
Now it seems all he meant to do was have the plasterers put the pebble/plaster in the center of the ordinary drain covers as I saw on another pool he built.
Covers are sitting there waiting for the plasterer and the plaster will block the holes in the center. They aren't even the large drain covers I see available.
I have 2.5" and 3" plumbing going to these drains with small covers and the centers will be blocked.
Hope I don't have problems with this.
Anyone have their drain covers finished with plaster/pebble?

2 of the workers are here now with the 2" PVC. Boss is supposed to show up soon to discuss main drain issue...

Next question - Should the 2" PVC for the returns come thru the wall or be reduced to 1.5" to create pressure? Or will the eyeballs that get attached create pressure?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.