Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM or increase CYA first

1. Back To Top    #1

Annapolis, Maryland

SLAM or increase CYA first

My pool went from crystal clear to cloudy overnight. My CYA dropped from 50 to 20, Ph from 7.5 to 6.8 and TC from 5 to 0. I don't think my CYA level was high enough at 50. It's been open for 2 months with no problems. I do have solar panels and a solar cover and the temp reached 97 degrees one day. We pulled the cover immediately and turned the panels off. Not sure if this had anything to do with it. Especially since my CYA was too low. My current levels are as follows:

FC - 1
    CC - 1
    TC - 2
    PH - 7.5 - I've been aerating
    ALK - 110
    CYA - 20
    CH - 80
    Salt - 2800

I know I need to SLAM and increase my CYA but what should I do first. If I SLAM with a low CYA it takes a lot less bleach and the shock level I need to maintain is a lot lower. I bought powdered CYA which can take a few days to increase my levels.
    18000 Gal Sport Pool with built-in steps. Vinyl liner. Goldline Aquarite SWG, Sand filter with Zeobrite, Hayward SP0712 Vari-flow, top mount valve. Newly purchased TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Western Chicago Area, IL

Re: SLAM or increase CYA first

I would repeat your testing, changes like that are abnormal even if the pool warmed significantly. Not saying you are wrong, just reason to pause.

If all the same, I would Slam at 30 (add just enough to raise CYA 10ppm) that will be cheaper to slam and give you a little break if the next test(s) comes in higher. Strange scenario though.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100