Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need some assistance.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need some assistance.

Went to pool store to have my water tested and the results are different than mine.

Test Store My Test Kit
    FC 2 <.5
    TC 2 <.5
    PH 7.2 6.8
    TA 90 50
    CYA 80

The only thing done between their test and mine was I added Pool Perfect Weekly (Their suggestion) about 30 minutes before I used the test kit.

Question:
    1) Did the Pool Perfect bring the readings down?
    2) Should I trust my readings over the store readings?
    Pool Details - 20,000 Gallon Chlorine, IG, Dark Pebble Finish, Cartridge Filters

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some assistance.

What test kit are you using?

If it's a recommended test kit, trust your results over the pool store any and every day of the week. I would get your pH up as soon as you can and get more FC in your pool. Have you tested your CYA with your kit?

FYI... pho$phate removers are not necessary at all in a pool that's properly sanitized with chlorine.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a basic kit that does not test for CYA. I need to invest in a good kit. Any recommendations?
    Pool Details - 20,000 Gallon Chlorine, IG, Dark Pebble Finish, Cartridge Filters

4. Back To Top    #4

Check out this link to recommended test kits: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

The best test kit you can buy in terms of the tests you need AND value is the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net (see the link in my signature). The K-2006 from Taylor is a good second choice, just not as many of the reagents that are needed.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

If you follow along here, there are a couple good ones, as folks here will tell you, a good test kit is not an expense, but an investment. The TF100 or Taylor K2006 are both great pieces, important to use FAS-DPD chlorine test, for better accuracy

http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

JV beat me to it!
    Phil
    ~9600 gal gunite pool, NEW July 2015; Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump; Pentair C&C 150 filter; Pentair Intelliclor IC40 swg; solar heat w/ Pentair Solartouch controller, screened. Taylor K 2005 test kit, FAS-DPD separate test, Taylor K1766 salt test