new pool owner

Jul 1, 2016
Ripon, ca
hello, my name is Rick and I am a new home/pool owner here in Ripon California. I just got my Taylor 2006 test kit and have been testing myself rather than pool store tests. I am pretty close to what they say except my PH seems closer to 7. I just added some borax hopefully I can get it to 7.4 or so. I have been having some issues with bad advice from another pool owner and before I found this forum. I went on 10 day vacation and when I came back I had Algae. Been fighting that for awhile but I believe it is gone. Pool store had me throw in 4 bags of shock and the perfect weekly. (2 weeks ago) Not sure that was the answer but seemed to work. My main problem is I was told to add stabilizer as I was going thru chlorine so fast with the solar. I think that was a big mistake as levels are so high I cant slam the pool. I have drained down to first step 3 times to try and dilute but its still way high. Pool store says drain half and refill. Going to try and get thru season then drain as I would like to paint pool this winter. Also ordered pool perfect but will wait on that. should I keep trying ti dilute? Or is CYA to far out of whack to do any good?

I am a little worried as going on 2 week vacation and most pool services are yearly contract. Haven't got anybody reliable yet...

Any help or suggestions or comments welcome. Thanks

Sorry for long post

Pool test is showing
ph-7.2
fc-3
cc-0.2
cya-150!
alk-110
Phosphates 400

Hey there Rick, welcome to TFPs. Those test results are from a pool store I take it?? Please run a full set using your own Taylor 2006 kit and give us:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

We don't worry about phosphates- we believe if you keep your pool properly sanitized that there will be no algae in it to "eat the phosphates" so we don't recommend buying that PhosFree product Leslie's pushes.

Here are some good starting articles to read: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Hey there Rick, welcome to TFPs. Those test results are from a pool store I take it?? Please run a full set using your own Taylor 2006 kit and give us:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

We don't worry about phosphates- we believe if you keep your pool properly sanitized that there will be no algae in it to "eat the phosphates" so we don't recommend buying that PhosFree product Leslie's pushes.

Here are some good starting articles to read: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

No, those were my readings from Taylor kit. one pool store had 7.2 and other 7.4 for PH. I say looking at my kit 7. Their ak readings were 98 and 100 my reading was 110. Chlorine good from test kit and pool stores. I am done with pool stores now that I have my kit. I didnt get exact number on CYA from kit as it is so high so I would have to dilute and test again to get exact number. Its very high
Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Chlorine good from test kit and pool stores...I didnt get exact number on CYA from kit as it is so high so I would have to dilute and test again to get exact number. Its very high
Actually, given a CYA that is over 100, an FC of 3 means that chlorine is not good - it needs to be more like 12 ppm. Try testing the CYA using the Extended Test Kit Directions - see post #8 in that thread. The CYA level is a major factor in determining you FC target.

I did the extended CYA test and come up with 140. So the chart says for 100 I should be at 12ppm. What should I have my FC at with this high stabilizer level?

added Borax to get pH up to 7.2 using my test set. Alkalinity went up to 120

also I have removed tabs and using pool essentials liquid chlorine

pool looks clear
thanks