Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Should I shock pool?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Should I shock pool?

    My pool seems to be using chlorine much quicker than normal for the past 3 or 4 days. I think I might have something growing in the water and may need to shock it. The water appears clear. Here are my test results from a TF-100 test kit:

    FC=4.5
    CC=0.5
    pH=7.2
    CH=200
    TA=120
    CYA=65

    Temp: 83 degrees

    I have been trying to keep the chlorine level about 8.0 due to the high CYA level. I keep a solar cover on the pool during the day.

    Last night when I turned the pool off, the chlorine level was 7.5, and this morning, 12 hours later, the level is 4.5. Normally the chlorine level only drops 1.0 from morning to morning. Usage by the family is the same and the weather is the same as it has been the past few weeks. It may have actually been a little cooler the past three days.

    Based on this info, would you think something might be growing in the pool and I should shock it. If so, what level should I raise the chlorine to? Based on the Chlorine / CYA Chart, I should raise it to 26. PoolCalculator.com says 19.0.
    22,400 gal, in-ground vinyl, sand filter; TF-100 Test Kit; Finger Lakes, NY

  2. Back To Top    #2

    TFP Guide
    Mr Bruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: Should I shock pool?

    You could make a SLAM a little easier on yourself by getting that CYA down to at least 50 or so first. Lower the better. And a SLAM is not a one time raising of FC, check out this article Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Pool Tool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Western Chicago Area, IL
    Posts
    754

    Re: Should I shock pool?

    Yes, time to SLAM forget the shock

    Losing 3 ppm overnight is no good. Round your CYA up to 70 and use PoolMath or CYA/FC chart - your Slam level is 28. Good luck and good testing to notice the issue quickly!
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

  4. Back To Top    #4
    mikemass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Howell, NJ
    Posts
    484

    Re: Should I shock pool?

    Quote Originally Posted by jrh View Post
    Last night when I turned the pool off, the chlorine level was 7.5, and this morning, 12 hours later, the level is 4.5.
    I doubt the Finger Lakes is getting 12 hours darkness at this time of the year. At some point between these 2 readings there was sunlight on your pool. This is not a true OCLT. Everyone so eager to SLAM/Shock/Jack the Cl levels up - whatever you want to call it.

    Your water is clear, you have insignificant CC's and regardless if it's a little cooler than past few days, it's still summer and long days of sunlight which is when Cl gets used up. Why not confirm with a true accurate OCLT first? Shocking would not hurt, but may be an unnecessary hassle.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: Should I shock pool?

    Mike, You're probably right. I will do that. I didn't have time to check it early this morning. Just one note, I said shock but I use 12.5% liquid chlorine.
    22,400 gal, in-ground vinyl, sand filter; TF-100 Test Kit; Finger Lakes, NY

  6. Back To Top    #6
    mikemass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northern Howell, NJ
    Posts
    484

    Re: Should I shock pool?

    Quote Originally Posted by jrh View Post
    Mike,.........Just one note, I said shock but I use 12.5% liquid chlorine.
    I figured. I knew what you meant. That's why I wrote it with all the slash marks above as different people use the terms interchangeably.

    The fact that you used what you used as opposed to bagged "SHOCK" makes my statement: "Shocking would not hurt" even more valid. The only thing better than 12.5% Liquid Cl is 15% Liquid Cl
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: Should I shock pool?

    I did a true overnight test and found that the chlorine only dropped 0.5. CC was at 0.5. So I won't be shocking it (that is, raising chlorine to the shock level). The water is still clear so it looks like I am good. Thanks for the advise Mike!
    22,400 gal, in-ground vinyl, sand filter; TF-100 Test Kit; Finger Lakes, NY

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •