Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 lb DE Scoop = 1/2 pound of DE??

1. Back To Top    #1

Plattsburgh NY

1 lb DE Scoop = 1/2 pound of DE??

Good Morning,

Probably a noob question, but I am confused as to what the correct measurement of DE is for my particular filter. I have a Pentair ST50 filter, which is approx. 48 square feet. The filter guide says a 1 pound coffee can covers approximately 5 square feet of filter area, so I am looking at 9-10 scoops for my filter.

I bought a 1 pound DE Scoop off of Amazon...

However this 1 pound scoop says one scoop = 5 square feet of filter area (just like the coffee can). If that is true then I just paid 10 bucks for a slightly prettier coffee can lol. You would think that a 1 pound DE scoop would actually give you 1 pound of DE. Very confusing!
    15,000 gallon above ground pool w/ vinyl liner
    Pentair Star(50) DE filter
    Unknown pump manufacturer, seems to be working fine
    Pool installed in 2010
    Taylor 2006-K test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: 1 lb DE Scoop = 1/2 pound of DE??

I have an bright orange DE scoop that is much bigger than a coffee can and holds 1-lb (roughly) of DE per scoop. You can find them in Pool Stores. I would return that scoop and just go get one from the pool store unless you don't mind putting in extra scoops.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates