Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turning on heat pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Turning on heat pump

When I hit the button to turn on the Pentair 140 heat pump, she goes on and off. I always have to hit the on button again. The pump is running at 3100 rpm so water is going to the heat pump. I do not have the heat pump on a timer. She is hot always with the mode showing the water temp. I asked my pool guy and the electrician about pump not being on a timer and they say. No problem. As long as you don't mind turning the pump on your self. Why is this heater not going on the first time ?
    Inground 30x60 vinyl W/2 French ends w/sitting spa. Built 2007. 2016 pentair electric 140 heat pump. Pentair VS-SVRS pump. System 3 modular filter SM series S7m120

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turning on heat pump

The pump is on a timer. It's the heat pump that is not on a timer.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

if a sensor is going out or something is wrong with it they will shut off for safety reasons
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Heat pump is new. Once it's running she is fine. Yes, I once lowered the pump to 2300 rpm when heater was on and the heat when into safe mode.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Was there enough power run out to your pad to supply the heat pump? When you say shutting right off is the compressor trying to start then quitting or does it run for a min then stop.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, she is rated for 40 or 50 amps. It's a 60 amp. Plenty of power. I hit the button on and off in one sec. Maybe I will try holding the on button. I forget to say@@. Once it goes on its says@ 4 min to reset. It goes on but not the compressor. In 4 min it goes on without ever having a problem

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to lower the temp so the compressor doesn't try to turn on. Then after its on I will raise the temp. Maybe that will work.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Do you have an outdoor subpanel or do you have separate home runs to your main panel for you pool pump and your heater? It sounds like when you start the heat pump and the fan and compressor start at the same time you are getting an under voltage drop out on the compressor motor controller. A 60 amp feeder is probably just enough to only power the heat pump by itself if the pump is on the same feeder you may not be getting an overcurrent trip on your breakers but the voltage drop on the line is enough so the compressor wont start. Those kinds of line surges will kill the electronics in your VS pump.
    Chuck-

8. Back To Top    #8

We have a panel outside its a 100 amp. 60 for heater 30 for pump 20 for lights. Let me ask this, is the fan and the compressor should turn on together when first starting? It does sound like not enough power. Maybe pentair heat pump are made to run fan first?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Is the panel rated for 100amps or is being supplied with 100 amps? Sorry to ask but it is something that is commonly confused.

Yes the fan and the compressor should turn on together as the evap coil would get very hot very quickly if the compressor wasn't running with the fan. They are on separate motor controllers so that the fan can operate independent of the compressor for defrost/cool down modes. If there is enough power being supplied to the unit starting the fan and compressor at the same time shouldn't be a problem. If your power supply isn't the problem and you have double and triple checked the programing options on the unit and read the user manual at least 5 times call Pentair and have them come out for a warranty service call.
    Chuck-

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, 100 amp service. I read it two times. Do you think I can set the heat for only fan first, then compressor? I didn't see that. I will check.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

The fan and compressor are controlled by the board it wouldn't be a user programmable option. Again as long as the power is there and it sounds like it is having them both start at the same time shouldn't cause any problems. You may want to call pentaire and talk with them about possibly having a problem with your unit.
    Chuck-

12. Back To Top    #12

I just shut down the heater with the pool pump still running. It must be me or that on & off button is bad. I hit the button to turn off and it came back on. I had to hit it again they it closed off. That's what happens when I turn it on. It must be me. ??

- - - Updated - - -

I did read something that this heater wanted to be controlled by a timer. Not by me turning it on. ?

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

You may have a bad button, the heater is designed to work with and without automation. You should be able to turn the unit on or off with that button even if its connected to automation.
    Chuck-

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

If your on/off is a toggle like switch, yes they can go bad or get sticky.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

15. Back To Top    #15

I called Pentair yesterday. He told me with the pool pump running tap the on button on heater, tap it again. It when on. Fan and compressor. To turn it off the same way. You have to tap it 2 times. It worked. Right or wrong it works that way. Never saw or heard doing it like that. It doesn't say that in the book. I'm happy with that. Thanks guys.