Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about muratic acid...

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about muratic acid...

I can not find the strength of my muriatic acid on my bottle. I got it at Lowes its the green label bottle. I also need to add cya and salt. Is it ok to add all or should I space it out. My cya is 30 trying to reach 70. My ph is 8.2.
    Above ground intex 24x 52 Swg with sand filter pump. Well water. New started the end of May. 11,600 gallons. Test kit TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about muratic acid...

According to Lowe's web site (Shop Crown 1-Gallon Muriatic Acid at Lowes.com), the green bottle is half-strength. Specs listed on web site are 10° baume (15.725%).

They also sell a blue-labeled bottle for the same price that is full-strength 20° Baume (31.45%). If you haven't opened the green bottle, I would exchange it for the blue-labeled bottle.

The green bottle is marketed as an environmentally-friendly alternative. But at the end of the day, you will need the same effective strength of MA to reach your target pH level meaning you will be using twice the amount of product vs. the blue-labeled product. Really don't see the benefit of the green bottle except to the mfr's bottom line.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are a couple examples:
    Muriatic Acid (Home Depot):

Muriatic Acid (Lowes):
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

The brand I have is Jasco Green muriatic acid.
    Above ground intex 24x 52 Swg with sand filter pump. Well water. New started the end of May. 11,600 gallons. Test kit TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by blsobx View Post
    The brand I have is Jasco Green muriatic acid.
    Per the Jasco website it is 20%
    Jasco | Jasco® Green™ Muriatic Acid.
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam