Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just received my TF100 today so I was anxious to see what my numbers are.

Test results from this evening.

Ph - 7.5
FC - 4
CYA - 20
CC - 0
TC - 4
TA - 110

I knew CYA would be low because I only added enough to get it to 20 because I didn't have my test kit yet and didn't want to add to much. Pool calculator says to add 28oz of cya to get me to 40 and 18 oz of bleach to get me to my target of 5 for FC according to what the chlorine / cya chart calls for.

So there you go, what do you all think?

***can a mod move this over to the testing section instead of here****

I'd say you have a good grasp on all this! Good job!! :goodjob:

For future reference, 16 ounces of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC up by 1ppm. Just something useful for you to file away in those memory banks :cool:

That's good to know, hadn't figured that out yet...LOL

Looks good!

Thank you!! :cool: Felt overwhelmed with at first when I read how TFP works but it's really simple once you understand the methods.

HA! Nothing exists outside a 5 mile radius of my pool! :)

Thread moved per request.

Haha...thanks!!! :D

Have a question about testing for TA. Last night when I was testing for TA it said to add drops one at a time until it turns red. What shade of red is considered red for the test, Dark Red, pinkish, etc? Just want to make sure I figured it right, it could change my TA results to 120 or 100....LOL

I think the standard answer (for all tests) is when the color (red for TA, blue for CH) stops changing it's done. So add until the last drop makes no difference in the color, subtract the final drop from the total # of drops then multiply.

I am assuming you omitted CH due to a vinyl liner? It will be good to do it once so you can know it and monitor CSI in PoolMath. No big deal, but good to have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the standard answer (for all tests) is when the color (red for TA, blue for CH) stops changing it's done. So add until the last drop makes no difference in the color, subtract the final drop from the total # of drops then multiply.

I am assuming you omitted CH due to a vinyl liner? It will be good to do it once so you can know it and monitor CSI in PoolMath. No big deal, but good to have.

That's what I thought it might be, it stopped changing at the 12th drop so I subtracted that and multiplied giving me 110.

You are correct, didn't do CH because of vinyl liner but I will go ahead and test it just so I know what it is.

Here are the detailed instructions on the TA test which should answer your question: Pool School - Total Alkalinity

Thanks for the link. ;)

Think I might need to get me some Borax based on what my Ph was last night and this morning. Holding at 7.5 but I think I need to go up to 7.7, unless you all think it's fine at 7.5. Since I filled the pool over a week ago the Ph has been holding at 7.6 without me adding anything until today, had some rain yesterday so I'm sure that had something to do with it dropping a bit.

Oh and test from this morning are:
Ph - 7.5
FC - 5

PH at 7.5 is definitely fine.

Then I'll leave it at that for the time being.

Any idea as to how much FC i'll loose to sunlight, guess that's pretty dependent on how hot it is out and how many swimmers are in the pool any given day. Wondering if I should shoot for 1-2 ppm above target for my chlorine / cya readings daily or if staying at 5 ppm will keep me above 3 ppm by the end of the day.

Gotcha, I'll bring it up 1-2 over target tonight.

Thought I'd post some pictures of my TFP water from earlier today. I have noticed that around the ladder I've got some tiny bubbles. Must be pulling air somewhere on one of the connections on my pump or I need to adjust my return jet to face a different direction? Right now it's facing a little down and to the right.

IMG_0282_zpsssbhnvva.jpg

IMG_0283_zpsbfwly8yx.jpg

"Any idea as to how much FC i'll loose to sunlight, guess that's pretty dependent on how hot it is out and how many swimmers are in the pool any given day." Loss to sunlight is indifferent of number of swimmers in the pool ;) But loss to sunlight is typically within 2-3 ppm/day. Loss to swimmers depends a lot on the friends you keep ;)

Looks great! Enjoy that pool!

Wow, that's some pretty water!

Thanks, it's only pretty because I found this site and all the help that's been given here!!! :cool:

"Any idea as to how much FC i'll loose to sunlight, guess that's pretty dependent on how hot it is out and how many swimmers are in the pool any given day." Loss to sunlight is indifferent of number of swimmers in the pool ;) But loss to sunlight is typically within 2-3 ppm/day. Loss to swimmers depends a lot on the friends you keep ;)

Looks great! Enjoy that pool!

LOL....well the friends I have are pretty clean so that shouldn't be much of an issue. I'll plan on starting out with a little bit higher chlorine level each day.

Hoping to enjoy the pool tonight and this weekend. I haven't had time to get in it the last 3 days.

I still can't help but laugh every time I think about my co-worker saying that he can smell the chlorine in his pool and how he knows it's good because of that and his test strips.

<gag> I think I threw up a bit in my mouth reading that. :puker:

Baaahaha that made me actually LOL!!! :D

He told me yesterday that he just tosses in one of those Arm and Hammer Clear Balance tabs once a week along with his chlorine tablets that he adds every so often. Also said when he gets close to the pool he can smell the chlorine, so he knows it's working like it's supposed to.

I'm not even going to argue with him about doing it the TFP way. He asked what I was doing and I told him what I'm doing. He said, I'd just get some chlorine pucks, MA and those Arm and Hammer tablets and do that. I know he struggled getting his water clear when he opened it this year. I think he said he also throws a packet of shock in there every couple of weeks (or less).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.