Raising TA & Measuring Muratic Acid

beemer

Mar 29, 2016
Spring, Texas
I need to raise my TA by ~30ppm which comes out to about 10lbs of Baking soda. Is it okay to dump it all in at once, or should I do this in phases over a couple of days? How much of a bump should I expect to see in PH because of this? Sounds like "not much" but I haven't seen any numbers anywhere?

Also - when adding muratic acid what do you measure it into and how do you pour it in the pool? I used a glass measuring cup, but scared me a little seeing all the fumes coming off it? Poured it along the side of the pool out as far as I could reach and just about burned all my nose hair off when I in advertently got a whiff of it. Is there a better way??

Just estimate the MA, half a bottle, quarter bottle, etc, and pour it straight from the bottle. Many folks float the bottle on the water surface with the mouth an inch or so above the water and pour.

At the bottom of Poolmath is a tool called Effects of adding Chemicals enter gallons at top, weight of chemical and select the chemical. It will tell you what it will add to to the pool.

More here on how to add chems to the pool, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool School - Recommended Levels

I use a 1.5 litre (around half-gallon) plastic measuring cup, and I'm normally adding around 250-500 mls (1-2 cups). I stay upwind of the acid jug and measuring cup. I pour it in the pool slowly in front of a return at a time when the pump will be running for an hour after I've added the acid. If I think I poured too fast, I brush the bottom of the pool a little bit directly below where I poured it in. You can see it in the water before it disperses.

My better half gets a half-pail of pool water first and adds the acid to that, which stops the fumes. She then pours the bucket in near a return.

I'm not keen on estimating acid because it's a small amount and the jug I buy is big, but I agree avoiding measuring eliminates some of the handling risk.

Thanks for the tips on 'estimating' - I was a little nervous to do so with acid, but that's what my pool builder said, too. So we'll give it a shot and see how it goes. :)

Thanks for the pointer to the effects widget, too! I've used the calculator a couple of times, but had completely overlooked that nifty little feature! Very helpful!

And to PA Girl my TA dropped down to around 70 (and my PH has been rising daily despite healthy doses of muratic acid). I am still using trichlor tablets (my CYA is still on the low side, AND I want to figure out how to use the inline feeder for when we go away on long weekends or extended vacations) so need to get the TA up higher. Shot for about 100 which depending on what source I use may still be a little on the low end. But as I don't plan to use triclor forever didn't want to go too terribly high, but need it high enough to stabilize the PH as I am definately not a fan of dumping muratic acid in on any sort of regular basis. That stuff scares me!

Dumped the baking soda in the skimmers today (1/2 & 1/2) I will run a full test again sometime this weekend and see how it's looking.

On the bright side water is still sparkly clear. Knock on wood. :)

I would recommend no glass by the pool. If broken glass gets in the pool, it's bad news.

Also, broken glass and hydrochloric acid are a bad combination. Kind of like the sign that says "In case of fire, break glass". If there's a fire, I'm not sure how flying broken glass is going to help the situation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is what I use:

Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips 2-Cup Angled Measuring Cup: Kitchen Dining

I actually got mine at Target but wanted to find a link so you could see it. It's great. Nice sturdy rubber handle. Plastic. 2 cups (16 oz) and has an graduated angle inside the cup so you can quickly see how much liquid you have inside from the top (so you don't have to pick it up and see). Makes quick work getting the right amount in the cup quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.