Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Help!!

So my pool was cloudy yesterday so I shocked the pool with the recommended amount of bleach. When I saw the pool this morning the water was nice and clear. I came home from work today and the water was still clear but I saw some green on the pool floor which means I still have algae. I tested the water again tonight and my results were:

FC - 5.8 (dropped from 28)
    CC - 1.8
    PH - 7.6
    CH - 300
    TA - 150
    CYA - 80 (thought it was in the 70 range until someone taught me how to properly do the test)

My problem is I will be gone for the weekend and won't be back till Monday. I'm not sure how to approach this. I know it's time for my filter to be back washed and that will be first thing I'll do tomorrow before I leave for the weekend but I'm not sure if I should slam before I leave or use an algecide and keep the floaties in the water till I come back to deal with the problem. I know I should first get my CYA down before I do anything but will not have the time tomorrow to drain and fill. Any advice on how to approach this would be most appreciated. FYI pool was green when I opened and my pool store recommended that I shock till the water cleared. I shocked 3x with chlorine granules which got my water clear but also jacked up my CYA. This was all before I got the proper info on CYA. I desperately need help from the pool veterans.
    Pentair Quad D.E Cartridge Style Filter
    Pentair Multiport Valve SM-20-3
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Energy Filter
    Gas heater for Spa and pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Help!!

I'd take the FC to SLAM level for your CYA--call it a day-----and then work on it full force when you get back.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Would using more then the recommended amount be a bad thing. According to CYA chart I should get my FC to 31. If I went a little over that would that mess up or stain my pool?
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Energy Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

With algae and your CC, it will disappear pretty fast since you can't stay on top of it. Don't bother.

16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Got it appreciate the advice
    Hayward Pump
    Jandy Energy Filter