Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stain diagnosis and treatment guide?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stain diagnosis and treatment guide?

Hi everyone,

Before I start driving you all crazy with questions about my stain, is there a complete guide on this site (or somewhere else) that I can follow?

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stain diagnosis and treatment guide?

My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I suggest getting a Jack's Magic Stain ID kit. I've been dealing with major staining on my plaster pool this year and have spent the last month trying to diagnose the issue via internet research without success. I was about to start an absorbic acid treatment yesterday (had purchased $100 worth of chemicals to do so) when I read a post that got me thinking I might be on the wrong track. Purchased the Jack's kit for $13 from the local pool store which identified the stain immediately, contacted Jack's customer support and was given directions on now to eliminate the stains. I wish I had done this a month ago...

Just one guys experience. Good luck.

Mike
    30K gallon in-ground, gunite pool with cartridge filter, Taylor 2006 Test Kit, BBB Believer.

4. Back To Top    #4

Had you tried the vitamin c tablets and the puck tests, Kayakersmith?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I did both with no success. The Jack's #2 removed them immediately however.
    30K gallon in-ground, gunite pool with cartridge filter, Taylor 2006 Test Kit, BBB Believer.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Had you tried the vitamin c tablets and the puck tests, Kayakersmith?
    Yes, both. They were non-conclusive. The stain I have is a large, pale yellow/brown are near the drain in the deep end, where the leaves that get under the cover in winter tend to accumulate. So I have a feeling it's organic. Anyway, I tried Vit. C and it didn't do anything (but it worked well on an obvious rebar stain I have.....god help me).

I also tried resting a puck on it for a while. That actually made the stain darker, at least around the edges of the puck. Kinda weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kayakersmith View Post
    I suggest getting a Jack's Magic Stain ID kit. I've been dealing with major staining on my plaster pool this year and have spent the last month trying to diagnose the issue via internet research without success. I was about to start an absorbic acid treatment yesterday (had purchased $100 worth of chemicals to do so) when I read a post that got me thinking I might be on the wrong track. Purchased the Jack's kit for $13 from the local pool store which identified the stain immediately, contacted Jack's customer support and was given directions on now to eliminate the stains. I wish I had done this a month ago...

Just one guys experience. Good luck.

Mike
    How practical is that kit to use in the dead center of the deep end, assuming I don't have scuba gear?

7. Back To Top    #7

I used a piece of PVC pipe when I tested on an area about 3' deep. Hold it tight against the bottom and pour in the test powder, it will sink to the bottom-
    only had to stay on the surface for 30-45 seconds.