Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long do I wait to read the chlorine result

1. Back To Top    #1

How long do I wait to read the chlorine result

Super basic question here. In the K 1000 test kit how long should I wait after putting the drops in to read the chlorine level? I've noticed that the color darkens significantly over time. Do I read it right after I put the drops in and invert it a few times or do I wait a few minutes and go with that color? The difference between the two is not insignificant usually 1 to 2 ppm
    Inground Pool Completed April 2015
    Salt Water Generator- Nature 2 Fusion Soft
    33,500 gallons, Gunite/White Plaster
    Cartridge Filtration
    Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long do I wait to read the chlorine result

Yes Jim, read it immediately. Most reagents begin to change color when they are allowed to sit idle.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How long do I wait to read the chlorine result

Pool School - OTO Chlorine Test

This test measures TC, but if you watch closely it is possible to get a sense of the presence of CC. When you first add the drops of R-0600, the sample will immediately show the FC level. Then, over the next minute or so, it will drift up to the TC level. If you see the color changing, CC is present. Using the test in this way requires careful attention and a good ability to distinguish shades of yellow quickly.
    You need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits if you do not have one.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!