Question about Blue stains in pool

dho522

Jun 30, 2016
Fremont
Hi, I'm new to the forum so not sure where to post this, I just drained my pool to clean, and our pool has had these blue stains on the walls for some time, I am wondering what these are and how best to remove/clean them while I haven't refilled my pool yet. I've shown these pictures to our local pool store and they said its calcium deposits.

I've looked around but not sure how to remove these, does muriatic acid help to remove these stains? or is there a better method? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to TFP :)

that sure looks like calcium scaling... I am not up on everything with it but this is in pool school :)

Pool School - Calcium Scaling

the last sentence: The only reliable solution for removing calcium scaling is a full drain and acid wash.

Thanks for the reply!

Question about the calcium scaling, is there any harm in leaving it as is and not doing the full drain and acid wash? It would take a bit of work and I'm wondering if leaving it alone is an option or if it's something that needs to be treated

It is fine to leave it alone. Better probably because an acid wash is a pretty aggressive treatment and will shorten the life of your plaster. Keeping your CSI negative (use Poolmath), -0.3 to 0, will prevent future scaling. Keeping CSI -0.6 to -0.8 and brushing with a stainless steel brush will slowly remove the scale.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

If there are very rough spots you can sand them with wet/dry sandpaper to smooth them

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.