Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about Blue stains in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about Blue stains in pool

Hi, I'm new to the forum so not sure where to post this, I just drained my pool to clean, and our pool has had these blue stains on the walls for some time, I am wondering what these are and how best to remove/clean them while I haven't refilled my pool yet. I've shown these pictures to our local pool store and they said its calcium deposits.

I've looked around but not sure how to remove these, does muriatic acid help to remove these stains? or is there a better method? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Question about Blue stains in pool

Welcome to TFP

that sure looks like calcium scaling... I am not up on everything with it but this is in pool school

Pool School - Calcium Scaling

the last sentence: The only reliable solution for removing calcium scaling is a full drain and acid wash.
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply!

Question about the calcium scaling, is there any harm in leaving it as is and not doing the full drain and acid wash? It would take a bit of work and I'm wondering if leaving it alone is an option or if it's something that needs to be treated

4. Back To Top    #4

It is fine to leave it alone. Better probably because an acid wash is a pretty aggressive treatment and will shorten the life of your plaster. Keeping your CSI negative (use Poolmath), -0.3 to 0, will prevent future scaling. Keeping CSI -0.6 to -0.8 and brushing with a stainless steel brush will slowly remove the scale.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

If there are very rough spots you can sand them with wet/dry sandpaper to smooth them
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach