Another build in DFW... far north DFW

Jun 30, 2016
Savannah
Have been following along for several weeks now and our dig date is scheduled for next week :D Hoping for Tuesday!! We went with a small PB out of Denton, TX. Was recommended by a friend and after getting bids and interviewing three different PBs, he was our favorite. I just really want a place to chronicle the build!
It will be 30 X 18 in-ground gunite freeform with a raised spa. We have a pretty small yard with an already existing cedar- arbor/gazebo that is shingled to match the house and has a concrete foundation so that will serve as our outdoor covered patio and where people will mostly hang when outside of the pool. We also have a screened in porch on the back of the house but it is smaller and narrower. We have an over-sized swing and a couple of chairs in there but no dining space. Plus it gets pretty warm in there in the heat of the day as only one side of it is open with the screens. We are lucky that we back up to a green-belt with tons of outdoor space the kids can still play in since we are losing almost all of our yard space. Pool will have a 6 foot tanning ledge and two barstools that will face the gazebo. There will be a weeping wall on the opposite side. It is a play or sports pool that will go from 3.5 foot to 6 foot then back to 4.5 feet deep.
Posting but will edit to add drawings when I get them uploaded to photobucket.

Hey there CowboyMommy :) Welcome to TFP :handwave:

Your pool is going to only be 3.5 to 4.5 feet deep? Is that the desired depth of the pool or the water inside which is usually 6 inches less. Make sure whatever your desired water height is specified to your PB.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there CowboyMommy :) Welcome to TFP :handwave:

Your pool is going to only be 3.5 to 4.5 feet deep? Is that the desired depth of the pool or the water inside which is usually 6 inches less. Make sure whatever your desired water height is specified to your PB.
No, sorry, I realized that I typed that incorrectly after the fact lol. It will be 3.5 feet to 6 feet in the middle then back to 4.5 feet at opposite end. I will try and edit it!

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure if it is okay to post the created images with the pool builder on them. I couldn't edit them to remove it. But if someone knows how, I will!

May I suggest you go for 4' to 6' in the middle then back to 5'. Deeper pools are way more fun IMO, and some folks have regretted that 3.5 depth later. And with those benches and the tanning shelf you have plenty shallow areas to hang out.

Just a suggestion to consider :)

thx for suggestion, yes, will absolutely consider it and talk with family and PB about it. Thx!

- - - Updated - - -

I am wondering if the 3.5 foot is to properly accomodate the barstools? I don't know but it is a good question to ask!

We just built a pool that is 3.5'-6'-4'. I can tell you from experience you probably won't be happy with the drop off to 6'. I am tall so I can touch everywhere. But my wife cannot. The decline down to 6' is pretty steep. Our pool is 34' long too. If I was going to go back and do I it all over I would go with 5.5' in the middle instead of 6'. Mainly because not everyone is 6-4 like me. The shallow areas are very small due to the gradual drop off to 6'. Just a recommendation.

Matt

At first glance, I thought your pool extended to under the covered area! I thought how cool to have a bridge to swim under! LOL!

Even so, this is a great design! Is there a bench on this end of the pool?

At first glance, I thought your pool extended to under the covered area! I thought how cool to have a bridge to swim under! LOL!

Even so, this is a great design! Is there a bench on this end of the pool?
yes, there is a bench at end starts right at end of weeping wall and goes around to middle. We kept this end mostly uncluttered since there is so much going on at the other end. Figured this would be the area our kiddos would jump in over and over again in. Can't wait to see that!!:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
nice pool design, ours is 4ft-5.5ft-4ft.... great depths throughout,, I was very demanding on going 3.5-6-3.5 and my PB convinced me to go the other route and im glad he did, now that we have it im sure I would of not liked the 3.5ft... and the 5.5 in the middle is perfect aswell... our whole pool length gets used with different kids in different heights...

nice pool design, ours is 4ft-5.5ft-4ft.... great depths throughout,, I was very demanding on going 3.5-6-3.5 and my PB convinced me to go the other route and im glad he did, now that we have it im sure I would of not liked the 3.5ft... and the 5.5 in the middle is perfect aswell... our whole pool length gets used with different kids in different heights...

we recently decided to go 4' , 5.5', 4' .

So you're quite happy with that then?

The excavation crew is supposed to be here in half an hour! After being rescheduled three times in the past week, we are so ready to get this pool dug!!!
Here are the before photos! You can't see the outline very well anymore now that the grass has grown a foot in a week!

They only got a very small portion done on Friday since they didn't start til 2. The pool builder emailed me over the weekend asking how much rain we got. He was worried it would be too muddy and the bobcats would slip too much to finish the dig. It was pretty muddy in some spots but they showed up Monday and I guess it was okay because the majority of the dig was done that day.
They worked all day from about 7 am to 6 pm.

On Tuesday they finished up the dig around noon.

Nothing happened on Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning. By early afternoon I was getting very antsy and sent the PB a message to ask when we could expect the next phase to start and he acted like nothing would be happening til early next week! I was bummed. But about an hr later the steel guys showed up! They worked until dark, were back early this morning and then just a couple of hours later all of the equipment and plumbing showed up! It's like crazy town out there right now. It so weird to see so many different people working on so many different things when for three days it was basically the same two guys out there digging.

I think the odds are good that we could get gunite by Mon or Tuesday!

ETA: none of these pics really show the raised spa. It's there, it just so hard to get everything in the pics!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.