Pool chemicals.

Hello, folks,

I am new to the community. I was referred to this site by my neighbors, who maintain their own pool. I have tried to, and continue to read forums on this site in order to get as much information as I possibly can. I was needing help regarding the chemicals I need for pool maintenance. So far, I have chlorine (liquid bleach), baking soda, and borax on hand. I also have the HDX Basic 5-Test Kit, but I am currently shopping for the TF-100 kit, since this is the one that has been strongly recommended on these forums. Please, let me know if I'll be needing any more chemicals in addition to what I already have. Thank you.

Get your test kit first.
You may need CYA, also known as stabilizer, MA, muratic acid and possibly soda ash. I wouldn't buy any chemicals until you know what your pools chemistry is.

I conducted a pool test using the test kit that I currently have, here's the measurements that I got:

Chlorine: 2.0
Bromine: 4.4
pH: 7.6
Total Alkalinity: 140 ppm.

Is this safe to swim in? The reason I'm asking is because my niece started taking swimming lessons, and since we are coming up on a long holiday weekend, she would probably like to try and get in the pool. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

You can get the TF-100 (and toss in the Speed Stir, you won't regret it!) from TFTestkits.net

WORTH every penny and will actually save you a ton of money on chemicals you WON'T need to buy! :)

I see that there's option for other "add ons". Beside the magnetic speed stir, is there anything else you'd recommend I get?

I'd take the XL option on that kit, you'll be glad to have extra of that stuff when you're figuring out your chemistry. As to your question of "Safe to swim in" I think most people would say "Probably". without a full listing of test results from the kit, there is no definite answer.

- - - Updated - - -

When you're done with your shopping, it will help everyone to help you better if you edit your signature to reflect your pool and equipment.

We need to know what your CYA to know if it is safe to swim. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. It must be kept above minimum for the pool to be properly sanitized.

It is safe to swim when
FC is between minimum and shock level for your CYA
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
and the water is clear

We need to know what your CYA to know if it is safe to swim. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. It must be kept above minimum for the pool to be properly sanitized.

It is safe to swim when
FC is between minimum and shock level for your CYA
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
and the water is clear

Thanks for your reply. Currently, my pH is at 7.6, and the water is crystal clear. The basic test kit doesn't have a way to test for CYA, and I've been referred to where I could get the TF-100 test kit, which I will do so without any further delay. Thanks.

I'd take the XL option on that kit, you'll be glad to have extra of that stuff when you're figuring out your chemistry. As to your question of "Safe to swim in" I think most people would say "Probably". without a full listing of test results from the kit, there is no definite answer.

- - - Updated - - -

When you're done with your shopping, it will help everyone to help you better if you edit your signature to reflect your pool and equipment.

I estimated my pool size to be about 12,500 gallons, measuring length by width. I'll post a picture of my pool. If you have any tips on how to get measurements for this particular shape, please let me know. Thank you.

IMG_20160701_130520.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support