Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool chemicals.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool chemicals.

Hello, folks,

I am new to the community. I was referred to this site by my neighbors, who maintain their own pool. I have tried to, and continue to read forums on this site in order to get as much information as I possibly can. I was needing help regarding the chemicals I need for pool maintenance. So far, I have chlorine (liquid bleach), baking soda, and borax on hand. I also have the HDX Basic 5-Test Kit, but I am currently shopping for the TF-100 kit, since this is the one that has been strongly recommended on these forums. Please, let me know if I'll be needing any more chemicals in addition to what I already have. Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool chemicals.

Get your test kit first.
    You may need CYA, also known as stabilizer, MA, muratic acid and possibly soda ash. I wouldn't buy any chemicals until you know what your pools chemistry is.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

You can get the TF-100 (and toss in the Speed Stir, you won't regret it!) from TFTestkits.net

WORTH every penny and will actually save you a ton of money on chemicals you WON'T need to buy!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by WASP View Post
    Get your test kit first.
    You may need CYA, also known as stabilizer, MA, muratic acid and possibly soda ash. I wouldn't buy any chemicals until you know what your pools chemistry is.
    I conducted a pool test using the test kit that I currently have, here's the measurements that I got:

Chlorine: 2.0
    Bromine: 4.4
    pH: 7.6
    Total Alkalinity: 140 ppm.

Is this safe to swim in? The reason I'm asking is because my niece started taking swimming lessons, and since we are coming up on a long holiday weekend, she would probably like to try and get in the pool. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    You can get the TF-100 (and toss in the Speed Stir, you won't regret it!) from TFTestkits.net

WORTH every penny and will actually save you a ton of money on chemicals you WON'T need to buy!

I see that there's option for other "add ons". Beside the magnetic speed stir, is there anything else you'd recommend I get?

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have a large pool, maybe 15000G or more, get the XL option.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd take the XL option on that kit, you'll be glad to have extra of that stuff when you're figuring out your chemistry. As to your question of "Safe to swim in" I think most people would say "Probably". without a full listing of test results from the kit, there is no definite answer.

- - - Updated - - -

When you're done with your shopping, it will help everyone to help you better if you edit your signature to reflect your pool and equipment.
    25.5K gal vinyl IGP 3.5' - 8' depth. 1.5HP single speed A.O. Smith C48L2N134B1 motor on a Hayward SP2610X15 Pump. 40 ft2 D.E. Filter Hayward model EC75A. Hayward Chlorinator model CL200. single skimmer, 2 Returns. TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

We need to know what your CYA to know if it is safe to swim. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the FC/CYA Chart. It must be kept above minimum for the pool to be properly sanitized.

It is safe to swim when
    FC is between minimum and shock level for your CYA
    PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
    and the water is clear
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    We need to know what your CYA to know if it is safe to swim. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the FC/CYA Chart. It must be kept above minimum for the pool to be properly sanitized.

It is safe to swim when
    FC is between minimum and shock level for your CYA
    PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
    and the water is clear
    Thanks for your reply. Currently, my pH is at 7.6, and the water is crystal clear. The basic test kit doesn't have a way to test for CYA, and I've been referred to where I could get the TF-100 test kit, which I will do so without any further delay. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by DHoover85 View Post
    I'd take the XL option on that kit, you'll be glad to have extra of that stuff when you're figuring out your chemistry. As to your question of "Safe to swim in" I think most people would say "Probably". without a full listing of test results from the kit, there is no definite answer.

- - - Updated - - -

When you're done with your shopping, it will help everyone to help you better if you edit your signature to reflect your pool and equipment.
    I estimated my pool size to be about 12,500 gallons, measuring length by width. I'll post a picture of my pool. If you have any tips on how to get measurements for this particular shape, please let me know. Thank you.

IMG_20160701_130520.jpg

10. Back To Top    #10

Is that a deep end by the ladder? Divide your pool into two rectangles. Shallow end and deep end and then add those volumes together. Be sure to measure water depth and not wall height.