Suggestions for Clearing Up Sunscreen

SandyO

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2015
Oxford, MI
Thanks to you I am now a total pool snob. I love my clear water. We often have upwards of 10 kids in the pool at a time and on super sunny days the sunscreen seems to melt right off them and cloud up the water. Of course, nobody besides me notices this - they all say it is still clear and fine.

What do you do to combat the sunscreen that gets into your pool? Float a tennis ball? Nothing?

So far I just bump up the chlorine to just over my high end based on my CYA and then wait for it to do it's job. Is there something I could be doing to help it along?

Scum-bug in the skimmer and/or Pig brand oil-only polypropylene absorbent mat floating on the water -

9938855a16666d222b98396be8127058.jpg

If the oils reside in the surface, then mechanical methods (scum bug, etc) are best. If the water is clouded, then you may need to treat chemically. Before investing money in enzymes (which can cause excess FC demand) or expensive non-chlorine shock (which can register falsely as CCs on your FAS-DPD test), it is simplest to just raise your FC up to a higher level (maybe a 20% FC/CYA ratio) for 24 hours and see if that helps to clear it.

Great advice!

Since I have the chlorine on hand, I'm going to start with that as my cheapest method and bump it up a little more than I had been. But the scumbugs look cool and I might just have to find one.

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.