Blue to Thick Green

Jun 28, 2016
Westerville/oh
I am ready to give up on being a pool owner. My pool was the prettiest blue and within 3 days it was green. I was told it is because I left the solar cover on. Now it is a thick dark green. I have shocked it over and over. I have added chlorine bleach and it is still saying my FC is low. I am now told I need to flock it or I will never get the algae out. I have spent over $100 in chemicals. I really had hopes of celebrating the 4th in my pool.

No, it got green because the FC went too low.

Step 0. Stay out of the pool store.
Step 1. Get a good test kit. TF-100 is the best (see signature) Taylor 2006c will do as well.
Step 2. Add a half gallon of bleach a day with the pump running until your test kit comes.
Step 3. Read this Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Step 4. Let us know what your first test is when your kit comes.

And welcome to TFP :)

Thank you. This forum is great. After reading other posts, I ordered the test kit you just mentioned.
I have filters at the bottom of my pool as well. I closed the valve to them because it seems that is just sucking algae and then blowing it back in. Should I leave them closed?

Hey, you're not far from me. I work in Westerville but live out beyond Johnstown. I'm having trouble with cloudy water and also got the TF-100. I ordered it Monday of this week and I received it on Wednesday. So if you ordered it today, maybe you will get it Saturday. Good luck!

When SLAMing a pool you want the pump to run continuously so that you're filtering.

Floc is a chemical we don't often recommend. It makes stuff stick together and fall to the bottom of the pool (supposedly) so that it easier to vacuum out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.