Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What Should I Use Under Legs for Stability?

1. Back To Top    #1

What Should I Use Under Legs for Stability?

We recently set up our 14' x 26' x 52" Splash-A-Round AG pool. We hired someone to come out and level the area for us. That night, it started raining. ALOT! We are in south Texas and it rained for weeks on end. Once the rain stopped, he came back out and said he re-leveled and we were good to go. We then installed the 12" x 12" pavers to go under the legs of the pool making sure they were all at ground level and each paver was level to the other. We noticed the legs of the pool came to the back edge on several of the pavers but thought we would be ok. On one long side of the pool, the pavers were more in sand and on the other long side they were more on solid dirt. We filled the pool up and noticed that the pavers on the sand side sank a little but nothing to worry about. The pavers on the dirt side, however, started snapping in two and that side of the pool started to bow greatly to the point the legs in the center of the side were almost straight up and down. We have drained the pool. What do you recommend we use to help with the weight load on that side? We were thinking we should replace the pavers with some that are more heavy duty and possibly put a 2" x 12" on top of the pavers to help distribute the load. Opinions? I have pictures at the following photobucket site: http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/kp...w/Pool%20Issue

11,740 gal., 14'x26x52" Splash-A-Round Summer Breeze AG Soft-Sided Pool, Waterway Clearwater II FD18 DE Filter, Waterway PH1100 1 hp pump, Hayward Diver Dave automatic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Should I Use Under Legs for Stability?

Copy the IMG code and paste it into your post so that people don't have to click out of the site to see the pic. Many can't or won't. It will look like this
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not sure how to do that.
    11,740 gal., 14'x26x52" Splash-A-Round Summer Breeze AG Soft-Sided Pool, Waterway Clearwater II FD18 DE Filter, Waterway PH1100 1 hp pump, Hayward Diver Dave automatic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

Seems like we see a lot of broken pavers ...they are not really designed to handle point loads like this.
    If I ever had a pool like this (never have and likely never will), I think I would try to use something like redwood (rot resistant) or pressure treated 2x10 or 2x12s. As the wood would have a little give to it and not break.

- - - Updated - - -

How To Post Pictures
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Got it! Thanks!!!

- - - Updated - - -

We are thinking of using the 2"x12" pressure treated wood for this season and installing a concrete border for next year.

6. Back To Top    #6

there's also 4" thick cement blocks instead of 2" 16 in. x 8 in. x 4 in. Concrete Block-30168621 - The Home Depot

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

4" thick block is the way to go. That extra 2 inches makes a huge difference in strength. If you use lumber double up the 2x12 to get 4x12 pieces for all the same reasons you should use 4 inch concrete block.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for all the help! We used the recommended blocks and all is great. Pool has been refilled and we are enjoying it!!