Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need confirmation on a motor replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Need confirmation on a motor replacement

I just bought a foreclosure with a pool that's been sitting vacant (covered thankfully) since October 2014. Here's a picture of the setup, you'll notice a HST110 1 hp motor (matches with UST1102) that is frozen up and corroded, as well as a booster pump that's also frozen. The cleaner is gone, so I'm not so worried about the booster pump now. I'll probably get a robotic eventually anway.

I'm in south AL and we keep the pool open year round, so I'd like to upgrade to a dual speed motor. I've read as much as I can find on the forum and I'm hoping someone confirm that this motor http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00200017003498.htm will be compatible, and that I'll just need to wire in a 3-way light switch between the timer and the motor to control the Hi-Low feature of the motor? Everything I've read says that the SWG will function fine with the motor on low.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Bonus pic of the pool immediately after it's two year "unveiling".

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need confirmation on a motor replacement

The HST110 and the UST1102 are both up rated motors. The STS1102RV1 is a full rated motor so one size larger than you really need. It will work but you can also go with the correct size motor which is the STS1072RV.

The THP (Label HP * Service Factor) is the most important factor when sizing a motor.

I don't envy your clean up.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! So this is what I'm looking for, correct? http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00...ywords=sts1072 And it should be a direct swap with the addition of the 3-way switch for controlling Hi-Low?

4. Back To Top    #4

Correct motor but on the web page:

NOTE THIS MOTOR IS SHIPPED LESS HI-LO SWITCH. YOU MAY PURCHASE THE HIGH LOW SWITCH SEPERATELY BY ORDERING PART # 615332
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater