Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much and how often to shock a SWG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

How much and how often to shock a SWG pool

I have a 28,000 Salt Water pool. I had some big rips in my cover so for the first time since switching to salt I had a dirty pool when I opened. I was using the shock from lowes but my chlorine level wasn't reaching the proper level. The pool store told me I needed their shock because it had higher chlorine levels (99% vs 50% in the clorox shock at lowes). I assumed they were just giving me a line to sell stuff but I had a pool party planned for our young adult life group at church and needed it sanitary. Their shock worked but it's 30 bucks. What shock SHOULD I buy or if using bleach, how much do I use for a shock after several people swim? Thank you.
    28,000 gallon above ground 33' round Vinyl liner, 22 gallon waterway sand filter with a 1.5hp hayward pump, Jandy EI Salt System.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How much and how often to shock a SWG pool

Here's a good article to read. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain We don't "shock" our pools.

First off you need a good test kit. I suggest the TF-100 (link in signature)

e: While you wait for the test kit here's some more reading Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

We do not "shock" our pools, ever - we follow the SLAM Process when there is a problem.

With that being said, please understand that we follow a much different method of pool care than is taught by pool stores. How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, I don't have a problem per say, my water looks fantastic, my chlorine level was great right before Saturday's pool party. I've just always heard you "shock" after several people swim. So do I need to "slam" if there is not a problem?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and BTW, this is my first time on a forum, so forgive me if I don't always use the right terminology or protocol. Thank you for the quick responses too!
    28,000 gallon above ground 33' round Vinyl liner, 22 gallon waterway sand filter with a 1.5hp hayward pump, Jandy EI Salt System.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pastordavid View Post
    Okay, I don't have a problem per say, my water looks fantastic, my chlorine level was great right before Saturday's pool party. I've just always heard you "shock" after several people swim. So do I need to "slam" if there is not a problem?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and BTW, this is my first time on a forum, so forgive me if I don't always use the right terminology or protocol. Thank you for the quick responses too!
    Nope, you are doing wonderful!

No, you don't need to SLAM if there is not a problem. But, we define a problem much different than pool stores. Read through the three articles in Pool School (they go quick) and see what you think.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Should yu decide to follow our methods I would recommend you order a TF100. The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

Most people find that they save hundreds of dollars over a pool season following TFP methods rather than the pool store.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon