Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best SWG for 30' above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Best SWG for 30' above ground pool

I'm new to TFP, but after a few years of trying to half use my pool, I'm ready for a change.
    I have a 30' above ground circular pool with a sand filter and 2 speed pump.
    I'm currently running Pristine Blue, but would like to change to salt. All of the generators I've seen for a pool that size show as being for an inground pool. I don't know if that matters or not, but I thought I'd seek help from the experts.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Central Minnesota

Re: Best SWG for 30' above ground pool

If your water depth is 4 feet, you've got 20K gallons. The general guideline recommended here at TFP is to oversize your SWG cell by 2x your pool volume. This allows you to run the SWG for less time each day, reducing pump run time and extending the life of your cell. Look for an SWG that's rated for 40K gallons. Doesn't matter if you have a IG or AG pool.

This is a nice market comparison page for SWG: Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

For your pool, using 20K gallons, look for an SWG system that produces about 1.4 pounds of chlorine per day or better.

Welcome to TFP!

Too bad your username didn't get put to good use over in Britain!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Best SWG for 30' above ground pool

I should change my name ... PoolyMcPoolFace has a nice ring
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!