Decking on hold until next summer?

Apr 20, 2016
Lexington, ky
Since we are getting our pool installed at the end of the season we are considering waiting until next spring to do the decking. We think we'll pour the minimum concrete around our pool right now (4ft around it) and then next season do the rest. We are doing this so that the ground can settle over the winter and also because next summer our budget would allow us to do more with landscaping and decking than this year.

We are wondering if we add more concrete later if it would look odd--having two separate pours...one being a season older. We also thought of starting over next year and doing pavers....Or would it be best to just do all the decking now (although it wouldn't be exactly how we want it)? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd like to see pictures from people who added more decking at a later date if anyone has done so. Thanks!

Highly recommend doing it all at once to avoid a different appearance. Leaving it without decking this year is no problem except for the mess factor.

We have stamped concrete around our pool and have pavers extended off the stamped concrete to the outdoor kitchen and fire pit. So yes, that combination is doable.

Yes, I'd agree for different types there is no difference now or later.
Real question is what do you want for decking then consider what options are best for that selection.

Another option if you're willing to do a stamped overlay is pour the minimum deck now and leave it unfinished concrete, add the remaining deck next year and apply a stamped overlay to both. The below shoes mine with a 3 year difference in pour time between the slab under the covered patio and the new pool deck. There obviously is a break as they're two separate slabs but I do not notice it at all and the finish is identical as they were finished at the same time.

And a comparison to show the two different slabs pre overlay:

If you want to do 2 pours of concrete you could color the 4 foot you are doing now lighter, darker or even a different color altogether than the second pour that will make it look intentional and you can end up with an interesting contrast. If your PB uses computer aided design they should be able to do a few renderings with different options so you can get an idea of what it will look like.

You should also come to terms with the idea that all the decking may end up being done next year. PB delays can be quite common and, weather may play a factor as well. Not trying to be a buzz kill but I have never had any major project not have a few bumps in the road.

If you want to do 2 pours of concrete you could color the 4 foot you are doing now lighter, darker or even a different color altogether than the second pour that will make it look intentional and you can end up with an interesting contrast. If your PB uses computer aided design they should be able to do a few renderings with different options so you can get an idea of what it will look like.

That is a great idea that I haven't thought of! Our PB doesn't do the computer design, but I bet it would look nice with contrasting colors! Thanks for the tip!

Also, cbink-your decking looks great! I love that!

- - - Updated - - -

You should also come to terms with the idea that all the decking may end up being done next year. PB delays can be quite common and, weather may play a factor as well. Not trying to be a buzz kill but I have never had any major project not have a few bumps in the road.

Not a buzz kill! We aren't in any hurry! Lol!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.