I opened our pool this spring to find the CYA at ZERO. We had a warm and rainy winter here in Maryland, and this is was the first winter with a mesh Loop-Loc cover. I added stabilizer to the pool to bring to 35 ppm, however, the pool would not hold chlorine. Based on information found here on the threads, I thought that I most likely have an ammonia problem, but the ammonia test strips come up negative. The pool is crystal clear, so possibly an algae bloom that I can't see, or some type of bacteria. Whatever it is, I started the SLAM process 10 days ago. Here are the numbers prior to SLAMing (I use a Taylor FAS-DPD kit).
At day 10, the pool is still crystal clear, and CC is at Zero. I have been maintaining a shock level of 14ppm. My initial overnight loss was 8.0 ppm, but it trended down to 2.5 and have been stuck there for the last 3 days. I am not being impatient, I simply don't want to continue at shock level if you guys feel I am ready to stop. I am asking based on the following reasons:
1.) I have read in the threads that some stop the SLAM when the loss is between 2-3ppm (because of inconsistent testing).
2.) The pool is surrounded by trees, we continue to get a lot of rain, and I also find frogs, mice, an debris in the skimmer basket almost every morning.
If the consensus here is to keep shocking, then I'll keep going. Also, if by the info I have provided (or left out) makes you feel I am doing something wrong, please let me know!