Water leaking below sand filter - do not see any leak

Jun 5, 2016
Bethesda
I need help to solve this puzzle. I have a 33K gallon pool with sand filter. When I start the pump, within minutes I will see pool of water near my sand filter. I don't see any leak. I have inspected the sand filter drain plug, multi port valve, pump, but I don't see anything. If I stop the pump, within hours the water dried out.

It was not there last year. The pool was professionally closed, but I opened it. I used teflon while opening.

Thanks for helping.

My, there have been a few of these this year. :confused: Well, the fact that it stops when the system is turned-off would lead you to believe the pressure is pushing on a weak spot somewhere. Those leaks can be pretty sneaky. Other members have actually discovered a small leak/crack in the filter housing itself underneath. You would think that would leak all the time, but perhaps it's so small it needs outward pressure to let some water out. Not sure, just thinking out loud here if you've ruled-out all the other external sources.

Check your drain cap. I had the same issue and found that the threads on the filter side were slightly worn, a little trickle had started at the base of the cap and was nearly indetectable because it ran along the filter housing to the ground. A few wraps of Teflon tape and all is well.

Thanks for your reply Texas Splash and Mike5265. I used teflon tape in my drain cap. I don't see any water coming out from anywhere. I will look for weak spot in the sand filter. Is there any trick to identify hair-line leak.

I have the same problem, and I want to glue it what can I use?

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test

Okay, I found the leak. It's at the bottom of the sand filter, water is coming out from the sand filter base. I had the sand replaced last year, and it was fine until I open the pool this year. Last year, the pool was closed by a company who had been closing my pool for several years. Although while opening I noticed that the multiport valve was in filter position, not in winterize position - don't know whether that makes any difference or not. I believe the crack happened during winter.

My question is:
Can it be repaired, or I need a new sand filter. Last year I have changed the filter and the multiport valve. It's a big filter - 3 ft tall and 4 ft diameter, very heavy. Very heavy also.

Thanks for your help.

Oooh. That stinks. During winterizing, the water should've been drained, so you would think the pressure wouldn't be an issue. But apparently the cold still took its toll. Others have asked about a repair similar to your situation and attempted a DIY repair with some type of marine epoxy, JB Weld, etc. But typically our TFP advice would be to replace. There's simply no telling what the constant water pressure will do to a repair in that area, and if it ever ruptured while you were away from home your system could run dry. In the end it's your choice. Just wanted you to be aware of all angles. Sorry for your troubles.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can scoop out the sand or use a shop vac to remove it from the filter. If the sand looks really gunky you can rinse it before loading it into the new filter. Put the sand in a large bucket or a wheelbarrow and rinse the sand by shoving a running water hose in it to flush the gunk out. If you buy the same filter again save the multiport, standpipe, laterals and drain plug from the old one. It never hurts to have spare parts!

Thanks a lot. I believe my filter is Pentair Cristal-Flo II sand Filter, although I am not sure about the size. I see that they have several model 16", 19", 22", 24", and 26". My sand filter is pretty big, if there any way to measure my current sand filter? My pool is 40000 gallon pool. My pool pump is Hayward 1.5 HP super pump.

I have a very similar issue. After opening this year I noticed water around the base. I used a hole saw to make an opening in the base and noticed it was wet under the base. After talking to my pool guy I ordered a new tank. Over the last couple days the leak has mysteriously seemed to stop. Its no longer wet around or under the base. I am not sure what to do, I don't want to spend $1500 parts and labor to replace the tank if it is not cracked, but then, where was the water coming from? I did backwash and it reduced the pressure below 20 psi, maybe the leak only happens as the pressure increases?