Chlorine resistant algae?

Jul 21, 2015
Montreal, QC
Hi - I've been having a problem like a few others have described as "Algae dust", where the wrinkles in the liner at the bottom of my pool fill with a dark brown / black dust-like substance, that will temporarily disappear after a good brushing - but return and settle again after a few hours. I have been keeping the chlorine levels quite high thinking it's algae and shocking often but it doesn't go. I've tried vacuuming to waste but it always comes back :mad:. Some suggestions from other posts were pollen or dirt. It's hard to see clearly but when I brush, you can literally see a cloud being pushed to the side before it's disbursed and it looks greenish. With the constant shocking and high FC levels - how could this actually be algae?:confused: My SWG cell died last year and I've been using 3" pucks so far with ease. Our Quebec summers don't last very long so I'm not too worried about over-conditioning. These numbers were taken last evening after having shocked the pool the night before. (Taylor FAS/DPD kit)

FC = 16
CC = 0
PH = 7.3
TA = 100
CH = 180
CYA = 20

Any feedback will be much appreciated. (hope the .jpg works - having problems uploading images today for some reason)

Attachments

• Algae dust.jpg
    Algae dust.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 68
Thank you for your replies, Mr. Bruce, tim5055 and duraleigh. I think the FC shock levels for my current CYA (20) are about 10-12. I've been maintaining these approximate FC levels for about 2 weeks now. Am I damaging or reducing the life of my liner in my efforts to get rid of this "dust"? I will try the overnight test tonight to be thorough and SLAM, as duraleigh suggested - only maybe exceed the recommended FC levels by a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.