Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine resistant algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine resistant algae?

Hi - I've been having a problem like a few others have described as "Algae dust", where the wrinkles in the liner at the bottom of my pool fill with a dark brown / black dust-like substance, that will temporarily disappear after a good brushing - but return and settle again after a few hours. I have been keeping the chlorine levels quite high thinking it's algae and shocking often but it doesn't go. I've tried vacuuming to waste but it always comes back . Some suggestions from other posts were pollen or dirt. It's hard to see clearly but when I brush, you can literally see a cloud being pushed to the side before it's disbursed and it looks greenish. With the constant shocking and high FC levels - how could this actually be algae? My SWG cell died last year and I've been using 3" pucks so far with ease. Our Quebec summers don't last very long so I'm not too worried about over-conditioning. These numbers were taken last evening after having shocked the pool the night before. (Taylor FAS/DPD kit)

FC = 16
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.3
    TA = 100
    CH = 180
    CYA = 20

Any feedback will be much appreciated. (hope the .jpg works - having problems uploading images today for some reason)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21' AGP 52" depth, Hayward Turbo Flow 2 1.5HP pump, Hayward Sand Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Chlorine resistant algae?

32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Beat me to it....

The OCLT is the way to prove/disprove the existence of organics in the water.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Even if you do pass the OCLT, that's dead algae and you need to SLAM the pool to get rid of the living algae you can't see.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for your replies, Mr. Bruce, tim5055 and duraleigh. I think the FC shock levels for my current CYA (20) are about 10-12. I've been maintaining these approximate FC levels for about 2 weeks now. Am I damaging or reducing the life of my liner in my efforts to get rid of this "dust"? I will try the overnight test tonight to be thorough and SLAM, as duraleigh suggested - only maybe exceed the recommended FC levels by a little.
    21' AGP 52" depth, Hayward Turbo Flow 2 1.5HP pump, Hayward Sand Filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Your liner will not be harmed. We would not suggest something that will do that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School