Best way to mow this?...

Jun 13, 2016
Locust Grove, GA
65c15cd5f22d9660a3438599286f6a22.jpg

b770fc82ef381eed715621d62bba518e.jpg

Just planted 15k sq ft of zoysia around d my pool a month ago and it is needing cutting....any tips on best equipment/practices to get the job done as quick/cleanly and keep grass out of pool?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

if you want NO grass in your pool....A ruler and a pair of scissors will work wonders....LOL

Just mow it like normal and angle the discharge away from your pool or use mulching blades and a mulching cover. You're pool is far enough away from the grass, you wont get much if any in there unless its windy.

We have grass right up to our pool deck which is only 3 feet wide. We do get a little grass in the pool when my husband mows and edges but it is quickly caught by the skimmer. I usually put a fresh hair net in the skimmer before he mows and that works really well.

counter clockwise for a few laps as most mowers discharge to the right. When you are beyond the "throw" zone of the discharge, just mow your regular pattern. What kind of Mower are you using? Push? ZTR? Walk Behind? Lawn Tractor?
That is what I am trying to decide...walk behind vs rider....reel vs rotary. 15k sq ft of zoysia isn't that much but I don't want to spend a ton of time mowing either

That is what I am trying to decide...walk behind vs rider....reel vs rotary. 15k sq ft of zoysia isn't that much but I don't want to spend a ton of time mowing either

Well I own a commercial grade Zero Turn Exmark for a 2.5 acre lawn. So I am very bias. But if you don't want to spend a lot of time mowing, that is your fastest option aside from hiring someone else to do it, which is the absolute fastest way!

My "regular pattern" there would be counter clockwise the whole time- all mowing and no time and energy wasted on u-turns. I'd prefer bagging to mulching.

I guess it's all personal preference, but I prefer mulching. It's healthier for the lawn, it's a natural fertilizer, it keep soil moister, aides in disease resistance... And if the goal is speed and less energy wasted, isn't it easier to let clippings disperse rather than have to dump a heavy bag of grass every few laps?

But I think the purpose of OP's post was the most efficient way to go fast and keep clippings out of pool. In which case, my initial assessment stands. Mow 3 -4 laps counter CW to push the clippings away from pool. Then continue on in a back and forth pattern which changes from week to week. (You should never mow the same pattern every time. One week straight, second mow diagonal, third mow 90 degs to pattern in week one, fourth mow opposite diagonal from your second mow. By fifth mow, repeat.

Well I own a commercial grade Zero Turn Exmark for a 2.5 acre lawn. So I am very bias. But if you don't want to spend a lot of time mowing, that is your fastest option aside from hiring someone else to do it, which is the absolute fastest way!

I guess it's all personal preference, but I prefer mulching. It's healthier for the lawn, it's a natural fertilizer, it keep soil moister, aides in disease resistance... And if the goal is speed and less energy wasted, isn't it easier to let clippings disperse rather than have to dump a heavy bag of grass every few laps?

But I think the purpose of OP's post was the most efficient way to go fast and keep clippings out of pool. In which case, my initial assessment stands. Mow 3 -4 laps counter CW to push the clippings away from pool. Then continue on in a back and forth pattern which changes from week to week. (You should never mow the same pattern every time. One week straight, second mow diagonal, third mow 90 degs to pattern in week one, fourth mow opposite diagonal from your second mow. By fifth mow, repeat.
I have read that blade tip speed will determine how good a mower is at mulching. Towards that end I wonder if any walk behind mower can compete with a high power ztr?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Walk behind mulching mowers are just fine, you just have to get a decent one. There is a lot more to it than blade speed, you need proper deck and blade design. We used to sell the Troy built mowers, which were great, before the company sold. I now have a John Deere, an older mower that has an aluminum deck and it does a good job. But keep your blade sharp. The grass should be circulation and getting re-cut under there, hence the importance of the deck design. Mulching blades have a special design, a curve, and they work together with the blade. We used to get mowers in with the opening taped over, so the knucklehead figured he was now mulching..lol.

Around my pool, even though it is a mulcher, I get some grass on the deck, so I use the bagger for the first two laps around the deck, and back to mulching after that. Works like a charm, no grass issue at all.

Most "push" mowers have power drive. Yes, something that makes you walk more is a good thing, but carrying only one blade makes mowing needlessly time consuming. A rider with two blades won't cut your time in half but it will greatly reduce it. Use some of that saved time to make up for the lack of enforced exercise by swimming, and you're ahead by any way you want to count it!

I look at my acre and think my next mower should be a push. But I don't want to give up the two blade deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.