Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to mow this?...

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to mow this?...

Just planted 15k sq ft of zoysia around d my pool a month ago and it is needing cutting....any tips on best equipment/practices to get the job done as quick/cleanly and keep grass out of pool?

50x20 IG, quartscapes finish, 41k gallons , Autofill valve, Jandy pro series stealth 2 HP pump, Polaris PB4-60 cleaner, 4 cartridge filter (unknown make), Hayward Turbo cell 15 swg, Rheem 135k BTU heater/chiller, Hayward Pro Logic control panel, pool build complete 6-10-2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to mow this?...

counter clockwise for a few laps as most mowers discharge to the right. When you are beyond the "throw" zone of the discharge, just mow your regular pattern. What kind of Mower are you using? Push? ZTR? Walk Behind? Lawn Tractor?
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

if you want NO grass in your pool....A ruler and a pair of scissors will work wonders....LOL

Just mow it like normal and angle the discharge away from your pool or use mulching blades and a mulching cover. You're pool is far enough away from the grass, you wont get much if any in there unless its windy.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

We have grass right up to our pool deck which is only 3 feet wide. We do get a little grass in the pool when my husband mows and edges but it is quickly caught by the skimmer. I usually put a fresh hair net in the skimmer before he mows and that works really well.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mikemass View Post
    counter clockwise for a few laps as most mowers discharge to the right. When you are beyond the "throw" zone of the discharge, just mow your regular pattern. What kind of Mower are you using? Push? ZTR? Walk Behind? Lawn Tractor?
    That is what I am trying to decide...walk behind vs rider....reel vs rotary. 15k sq ft of zoysia isn't that much but I don't want to spend a ton of time mowing either

50x20 IG, quartscapes finish, 41k gallons , Autofill valve, Jandy pro series stealth 2 HP pump, Polaris PB4-60 cleaner, 4 cartridge filter (unknown make), Hayward Turbo cell 15 swg, Rheem 135k BTU heater/chiller, Hayward Pro Logic control panel, pool build complete 6-10-2016

6. Back To Top    #6

Also any ideas on bagging vs mulching zoysia?

7. Back To Top    #7

My "regular pattern" there would be counter clockwise the whole time- all mowing and no time and energy wasted on u-turns. I'd prefer bagging to mulching.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by molardog View Post
    That is what I am trying to decide...walk behind vs rider....reel vs rotary. 15k sq ft of zoysia isn't that much but I don't want to spend a ton of time mowing either
    Well I own a commercial grade Zero Turn Exmark for a 2.5 acre lawn. So I am very bias. But if you don't want to spend a lot of time mowing, that is your fastest option aside from hiring someone else to do it, which is the absolute fastest way!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMcC View Post
    My "regular pattern" there would be counter clockwise the whole time- all mowing and no time and energy wasted on u-turns. I'd prefer bagging to mulching.
    I guess it's all personal preference, but I prefer mulching. It's healthier for the lawn, it's a natural fertilizer, it keep soil moister, aides in disease resistance... And if the goal is speed and less energy wasted, isn't it easier to let clippings disperse rather than have to dump a heavy bag of grass every few laps?

But I think the purpose of OP's post was the most efficient way to go fast and keep clippings out of pool. In which case, my initial assessment stands. Mow 3 -4 laps counter CW to push the clippings away from pool. Then continue on in a back and forth pattern which changes from week to week. (You should never mow the same pattern every time. One week straight, second mow diagonal, third mow 90 degs to pattern in week one, fourth mow opposite diagonal from your second mow. By fifth mow, repeat.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by RyanMcC View Post
    This sounds like the trick if I push mow. I haven't been real impressed with mulching with any of the consumer grade walk behinds I have owned.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well I own a commercial grade Zero Turn Exmark for a 2.5 acre lawn. So I am very bias. But if you don't want to spend a lot of time mowing, that is your fastest option aside from hiring someone else to do it, which is the absolute fastest way!

I guess it's all personal preference, but I prefer mulching. It's healthier for the lawn, it's a natural fertilizer, it keep soil moister, aides in disease resistance... And if the goal is speed and less energy wasted, isn't it easier to let clippings disperse rather than have to dump a heavy bag of grass every few laps?

But I think the purpose of OP's post was the most efficient way to go fast and keep clippings out of pool. In which case, my initial assessment stands. Mow 3 -4 laps counter CW to push the clippings away from pool. Then continue on in a back and forth pattern which changes from week to week. (You should never mow the same pattern every time. One week straight, second mow diagonal, third mow 90 degs to pattern in week one, fourth mow opposite diagonal from your second mow. By fifth mow, repeat.
    I have read that blade tip speed will determine how good a mower is at mulching. Towards that end I wonder if any walk behind mower can compete with a high power ztr?

11. Back To Top    #11

If any bit of grass is wet it can stick to the top of the housing, leading to more clippings sticking there, etc. It doesn't take much to mess up the mulching.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by molardog View Post
    I have read that blade tip speed will determine how good a mower is at mulching. Towards that end I wonder if any walk behind mower can compete with a high power ztr?

That's like comparing this:

To This:

13. Back To Top    #13

That's like comparing this:

To This:

Lol....guess I am gonna get a 32hp commercial ztr then!

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, I purchased on of these on the used market -

TractorData.com John Deere 425 tractor information

You can find them in the $3,000 range; new they were 10 - 12k. The came with decks up to 60" wide and can be equipped with things like loaders. It makes fairly quick work of the six acres I have to mow.....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

15. Back To Top    #15

Walk behind mulching mowers are just fine, you just have to get a decent one. There is a lot more to it than blade speed, you need proper deck and blade design. We used to sell the Troy built mowers, which were great, before the company sold. I now have a John Deere, an older mower that has an aluminum deck and it does a good job. But keep your blade sharp. The grass should be circulation and getting re-cut under there, hence the importance of the deck design. Mulching blades have a special design, a curve, and they work together with the blade. We used to get mowers in with the opening taped over, so the knucklehead figured he was now mulching..lol.

Around my pool, even though it is a mulcher, I get some grass on the deck, so I use the bagger for the first two laps around the deck, and back to mulching after that. Works like a charm, no grass issue at all.
    16x32 vinyl
    80,000L chlorine
    21" Hayward sand filter

16. Back To Top    #16

A bit off topic- How did you get away with no fence? Am I missing an auto cover?
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    A bit off topic- How did you get away with no fence? Am I missing an auto cover?
    Fence is going in next week. Then final inspection.

18. Back To Top    #18

Beautiful pool / property you have there.

I'd definitely have a tractor mower for that much lawn.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    Beautiful pool / property you have there.

I'd definitely have a tractor mower for that much lawn.
    Thanks....I am leaning rider of some sort at the moment. Although I could use the exercise of push mowing.

20. Back To Top    #20

Most "push" mowers have power drive. Yes, something that makes you walk more is a good thing, but carrying only one blade makes mowing needlessly time consuming. A rider with two blades won't cut your time in half but it will greatly reduce it. Use some of that saved time to make up for the lack of enforced exercise by swimming, and you're ahead by any way you want to count it!

I look at my acre and think my next mower should be a push. But I don't want to give up the two blade deck.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast