Low pH AND low TA? - SWG Vinyl Intex 10,000gal

Jul 6, 2015
Dover, NH
Hi everyone! 2nd year with this pool, so easy and loving it. Combed through SWG threads, searched, also read through SWG Pool School and still having trouble with how to adjust my unique mix of numbers.

I have the most basic test kit.
ppm: 1
pH: 6.8
TA:80

Thinking I need to RAISE both pH and TA but everything I'm reading talks about how people always have trouble with pH being too high. Reading also that when pH is too low TA is usually too high. So clearly these work in tandem but can't find any suggestions on what to do when they are BOTH low. The water finally looks great, really clear, just don't want to have anything too off that would damage equipment. THANK YOU!

First of all, if that ppm is FC it is too low for any CYA. With a SWG you should be at or above 60 CYA.

With a SWG you should be fighting rising pH, so something is wrong here.

You really need a good test kit, either the Taylor 2006 or the TF-100 (link in signature).

Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking I need a better test kit. Will order one today. Was hoping to figure something out before the 4th and the pool stores around here are jerks about talking about SWGs, probably because they can't sell all their expensive chemicals, hehe.

Am I ok to have people swim on the 4th if I can't get the test kit in time?

That PH with an SWG is odd, has any other chemicals been used in the past? I would use pool math and add enough borax to get it to 7.4 and if it continues to drop then raise the TA but I wouldn't add anything to TA intentionally for now. Or even better get some aeration of some sort going to bring it up. Once you get the kit and get everything else running you're likely going to fight rising PH.

I have never used anything in the pool last year or this other than salt, and it was a frog pond when I started this year. :eek: Pool math - should I use the calculator and will it tell me how much Borax to add? Aeration - would just tilting the filter upward to ripple the surface be enough? Or someone in there every day splashing around? I had the same issue last year - pH was never high. Hope its not this testing kit, maybe it is just not good enough.

Yes, if you can point the eyes of the return up to ripple the water, that will help. But get yourself closer now by yes, using pool math.

Get it in the 7s before people swim. Below 7.0 is bad for people and equipment.

Just to be clear, I would not raise the TA at all. Usually with a SWG, you want it lower than that to slow the pH rise due to the SWG. So, I too and questioning your pH result.

What is your CYA? You have to know this to know the required FC level to be maintaining according to the FC/CYA Chart

Order a kit for tftestkits.net NOW (tf-100 is the best value), it will ship today out of NC, you may have it by Saturday, balance on Sat/Sun, swim on Monday ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.