CYA Readings

Jul 22, 2011
i have a 17k+ gallon ABG. my CYA reading was 10 at best a couple months ago. according to the pool pal calc, i needed to add a little over 4lbs of CYA to come up to around 50... i did that 2 months ago at the beginning of the season. it hasn't budged. still reading 10 at best, i dumped another 4ish lbs in there 2 wks ago... checked again today... still 10 at best... my reagents are new every year and i've never had this problem... i have the 50ppm reagent to test and show what 50 is supposed to be so i can work off of that (that looks and works fine)... but with my pool water is still pretty much clear all the way to the top of the tube... before i dump another 4lbs in, i wanted to see if i could possibly be doing something wrong.

You say you "dumped" it in. How exactly did you add it?

guess i should have clarified that part... not my 1st rodeo on this, so i placed in a skimmer sock and hung it in front of the return...

- - - Updated - - -

i'll also add that the 1st 4lbs was from leslies... the 2nd (thinking there might be an issue with the quality of their CYA) was from lowes... the 3rd i ordered from amazon and got it yesterday...

That's weird. I would be tempted to try the liquid stuff, since it's immediate and then you could see if it goes down week by week or what.

It's either water replacement or testing error. I'm betting water replacement.

That's weird. I would be tempted to try the liquid stuff, since it's immediate and then you could see if it goes down week by week or what.

It's either water replacement or testing error. I'm betting water replacement.

the only water "replacement i've had in the last few weeks is adding back in due to evap... i haven't even had to backflush yet since adding that last 4lbs... and where would i find "liquid" CYA at?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.