Pool water issues

TN94z

May 15, 2012
Henderson, TN
Well, after years of having crystal clear water, we now have a problem. The water was great last week. It's been very dry and the farmers and mowers have kicked up and there was more dirt than usual in the pool. So my wife went out and vacuumed the pool and brushed the walls. Afterwards, she forgot to backwash and rinse the filter. Every since then, it has steadily gotten worse. Just looking at the water, it looks green but if I take a cup of water out, it's not green. So I hoping it just looks like that because of all of the dirt. I tested the chlorine this morning and it's down to 1.5. I have started vacuuming to waste to get the dirt out. The deep end is so bad you can't see the floor or the vacuum head.

So I have a couple of questions:
-Do I need to have the filter running in between vacuum sessions or will that just make it worse stirring the dirt up? I ask because then I could run the salt generator to help bring the chlorine level up
-Should I add bleach to bring the chlorine to shock level?

If it has a green tinge, is cloudy and loosing 1.5 ppm over night it's time to SLAM. Better to start now than let it get to far out of control. I don't have any landscaping around my poo it is all dirt that we are in the process of removing rock from a lot of shoveling and raking. As a result I get a lot of dirt in the pool but the water is clear just gritty, green is most likely algae.

So what if the filter doesn't filter this dirt because it's so fine. It just gets through the filter and back into the pool. That's one reason I am vacuuming to waste. The only reason the FC is that low now is because I have had the pool off to allow the dirt to settle to get it out

Simply running the pump shouldn't stir up the dirt that much. Even still, I would add chlorine with the pump running for 30 minutes, then switch it off and let the dirt settle. I'd also try to gently brush it toward the bottom of the deep end to minimize vacuuming area. Repeat.

If it has a green tinge, is cloudy and loosing 1.5 ppm over night it's time to SLAM. Better to start now than let it get to far out of control. I don't have any landscaping around my poo it is all dirt that we are in the process of removing rock from a lot of shoveling and raking. As a result I get a lot of dirt in the pool but the water is clear just gritty, green is most likely algae.

If you take that dirt, break into fine particles, and brush it around, the water will be more than just gritty and clear. That's where ours started. The water was clear and not even gritty. It just had the dirt on the floor of the pool. Until my wife brushed it all around and stirred it up. But yeah, I will have to test to see if it needs to be slammed. The pool has been completely off for the better part of two days and the chlorine has only dropped to 1.5 during this time

- - - Updated - - -

Simply running the pump shouldn't stir up the dirt that much. Even still, I would add chlorine with the pump running for 30 minutes, then switch it off and let the dirt settle. I'd also try to gently brush it toward the bottom of the deep end to minimize vacuuming area. Repeat.

Sounds good. I'll start on that now. Thanks.

So I started the SLAM process today. I got the pool to a shock level of 28 (my CYA was where it should be so I had to bring it up a lot). It dropped a little this afternoon and the water cleared up a lot as well. So I added more bleach and just checked it again at sun down and I'm at 29.

I just want to double check the next part. I turned the SWG off obviously so it won't make any chlorine tonight. But can I leave the filter running all night to help get some of this stuff out of the pool? Or does EVERYTHING need to be off for the SLAM process??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.