Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 6 day vacation coming... recommendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Forest, VA

6 day vacation coming... recommendations?

I'm leaving Saturday for a vacation and will not be back home for 6 days. I'm just wondering how to approach this. My cya is 30-40. I used bleach to chlorinate but will not have anyone here to do so while I'm gone. I'm thinking that I should bring up to shock level for my cya just before leaving. I usually burn 3-4 ppm FC per day due to full sun. What do I do about my pump? I can't leave it on for 6 days while away. Maybe just heavy chlorinate and mix really well, then shut everything down? Thanks for any replies
    10,000 gal Octagon vinyl in-ground pool. Hayward S220 sand filter 3/4 hp pump, heat pump heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: 6 day vacation coming... recommendations?

You have to have way around that. The only alternative is risk returning to a green pool. 6 days without a pump is a recipe for trouble but you might get away with it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm also going for 7 days, yes bring it up to Slam levels for your CYA. I at least have a solar cover, and have 30-40 CYA so going to tie a floater with a puck in the middle.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

4. Back To Top    #4
    Oxford, MD 21654

I'm not sure if others would agree but when I go away I increase my pump run time from 7hrs to 10hrs and also increase my salt generator from 35% to 55%. Typically my FC will raise during this period.

Viking Cancun 14000 gal, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward SP26SP pump, Hayward AquaRite T-9 Salt System

5. Back To Top    #5

Will it be covered while you're away?
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

6. Back To Top    #6

Houston, Texas

We run our pump 7 days a week. it runs from 7 to 7 at 1875 rpm. It runs from 9-4 at 2500 rpm for our SWG. I can't imagine turning my pumps off. We, too, will be gone for 9 days and I am wondering how to manage the pool while gone. We will have someone dump the skimmer baskets but that's about it. I was thinking about turning up the SWG when we go too to keep the chlorine high.
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump/Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit