Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Retaining wall and fence question

1. Back To Top    #1

Retaining wall and fence question

So we need a retaining wall around most of our pool. My question is: Will my retaining wall need a fence around it if it is over a certain height? Similar to the way a deck needs a railing if it is over a certain height (for home insurance/ permit purposes)?
    IG Vinyl Mountain Pond 22x36/ Depth: 3'4"-6'6"/ About 19,000 Gallons/ Pentair/ Clean&Clear Plus420/ Intellichlor IC40/
    Easy Touch/ Intellabrite 5G LED Color-Changing Light/ DeckJetsII/ S.R.Smith slide

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Retaining wall and fence question

I have not seen any fence on any of the retaining walls shown on here, but every state is different, maybe ask the inspector or city hall??
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

There are two sides of the coin. One is for exterior access, which is normally taken care of by a fence. If the fence requirements are met by the retaining wall, and the inspector sees it that way, then you would be ok. However i suspect that the requirements may not be met. For example, our fence needs to be 48" high. Most retaining walls are not 48" above grade.
    The second piece is from a fall off the deck perspective. Our decking ends on top of a retaining wall. The deck to ground level could not exceed 30" or I would have needed a railing (not a fence). The fence would still be needed outside of that in our case. We graded the dirt up to be 30" or less to eliminate the railing requirement.
    But as Cowboycasey said, it's all about your local requirements. Check for deck/railing requirements and also for pool/fence requirements.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    There are two sides of the coin. One is for exterior access, which is normally taken care of by a fence. If the fence requirements are met by the retaining wall, and the inspector sees it that way, then you would be ok. However i suspect that the requirements may not be met. For example, our fence needs to be 48" high. Most retaining walls are not 48" above grade.
    The second piece is from a fall off the deck perspective. Our decking ends on top of a retaining wall. The deck to ground level could not exceed 30" or I would have needed a railing (not a fence). The fence would still be needed outside of that in our case. We graded the dirt up to be 30" or less to eliminate the railing requirement.
    But as Cowboycasey said, it's all about your local requirements. Check for deck/railing requirements and also for pool/fence requirements.
    Thanks! Thats what I was curious about. Our yard already has a fence around it which the PB believes will satisfy the fence requirement. However I was worried that the height of our decking/retaining wall might need a railing/fence. I'll check to see what the local requirements are exactly around here.
    IG Vinyl Mountain Pond 22x36/ Depth: 3'4"-6'6"/ About 19,000 Gallons/ Pentair/ Clean&Clear Plus420/ Intellichlor IC40/
    Easy Touch/ Intellabrite 5G LED Color-Changing Light/ DeckJetsII/ S.R.Smith slide

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Does the deck or pool edge go to the top of the retaining wall? If it's the pool, nearly any height should be fine but the deck will be another story.

According to the 2007 edition of the KRC #10, variations greater than 30" require railing. The height of the actual railing is also specified based on material usage. This information sheet can be found HERE.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page