Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA won't go up in fiberglass pool

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA won't go up in fiberglass pool

I have a fiberglass pool with a ph of 7.6 alkalinity of about 240. I know alkalinty is high but havent been able to get it much lower without lowering ph. Anyway I only use liquid chlorine as I have been told that using pucks can be problematic long term. The chlorine burns off very quickly and I keep having to add gallons ea h week to keep water clear. Purchased cya stabilizer from amazon and local great escape. I added one waited for 2 weeks nada. Bought from amazon with great reviews and added more than recommend and still does not register. I have a large sand filter which I made sure not to backwash for a week after adding cya. I have 3 test kits so that's not it. Please help,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA won't go up in fiberglass pool

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have one of the TFP recommended test kits?

How much stabilizer did you add? PoolMath will tell you how much the CYA should have raised.

You realize it is normal to add bleach every day right?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum

We will need some info about your pool. Take a look HERE for what we are looking for and when you can please fill out your signature.
    For this particular question the volume of your pool or if you don't know the volume the general shape, length width and depth at both the shallow and deep ends. And of course how much CYA did you add brand and strength if you have it.

How are you testing for the CYA?
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

I added 7 pounds of
    Pool Mate 1-2607B Stabilizer and Conditioner for Swimming Pools,
    Over 1 week here is more info on the pool and my test kit

25k Gallon Above Ground Fiberglass Pool installed in 2014, Sand filter with 1HP pump running 24/7, Taylor 2006C test kit, well water
    25k Gallon Above Ground Fiberglass Pool installed in 2014, Sand filter with 1HP pump running 24/7, Taylor 2006C test kit, well water