CYA won't go up in fiberglass pool

Jun 29, 2016
Burr ridge IL
I have a fiberglass pool with a ph of 7.6 alkalinity of about 240. I know alkalinty is high but havent been able to get it much lower without lowering ph. Anyway I only use liquid chlorine as I have been told that using pucks can be problematic long term. The chlorine burns off very quickly and I keep having to add gallons ea h week to keep water clear. Purchased cya stabilizer from amazon and local great escape. I added one waited for 2 weeks nada. Bought from amazon with great reviews and added more than recommend and still does not register. I have a large sand filter which I made sure not to backwash for a week after adding cya. I have 3 test kits so that's not it. Please help,

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have one of the TFP recommended test kits?

How much stabilizer did you add? PoolMath will tell you how much the CYA should have raised.

You realize it is normal to add bleach every day right?

Welcome to the forum :handwave:

We will need some info about your pool. Take a look HERE for what we are looking for and when you can please fill out your signature.
For this particular question the volume of your pool or if you don't know the volume the general shape, length width and depth at both the shallow and deep ends. And of course how much CYA did you add brand and strength if you have it.

How are you testing for the CYA?

I added 7 pounds of
Pool Mate 1-2607B Stabilizer and Conditioner for Swimming Pools,
Over 1 week here is more info on the pool and my test kit

25k Gallon Above Ground Fiberglass Pool installed in 2014, Sand filter with 1HP pump running 24/7, Taylor 2006C test kit, well water

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.