Inherited bromine pool.....help!

Jun 29, 2016
West Chester,PA
Hi All,
We were excited to buy a house with a pool and at first happy it wasn't chlorine. Little did we know the downside of having an outdoor BROMINE pool in full sun with no pool experts to help. I now understand the bromine bank and conversions and I'm trying the BBB method. As you would expect, I am having a very difficult time keeping my bromine levels up. My pool is clear and looks pristine however, green algae keeps reappearing. It appears within a day of brushing. Here are my results:

BR - 6 after weekly shock but drops to barely 3 within a day then to 0 the next
PH - 7.6 - 7.8
AL - 80
Cal - 250
Borate - 15
Phosphates - 1000 since this is all it goes up to
CYA - 0

I really don't know if there is a bromine bank. We added at least 10 lbs of sodium bromine this year after the pool company opened it, after it cleared & realized we needed a bank. Do I need to slam or super shock it to keep the algae gone? Or do I need to reduce my phosphates and or increase the borates? Then is it a matter of adding a gallon or two of bleach every day to keep the levels up?
Thanks for any help!

Welcome to TFP :)

unfortunately this happens very much with bromine pools and spa's, I think you are about the 5th person trying to fix a bromine pool.. Here is about all the info we have on them to help you out.. How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?)

I wish I could help more, I changed my spa to chlorine because I could never get bromine to work without algae, pink, white, and black... yuck