Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inherited bromine!

1. Back To Top    #1

West Chester,PA

Inherited bromine!

Hi All,
    We were excited to buy a house with a pool and at first happy it wasn't chlorine. Little did we know the downside of having an outdoor BROMINE pool in full sun with no pool experts to help. I now understand the bromine bank and conversions and I'm trying the BBB method. As you would expect, I am having a very difficult time keeping my bromine levels up. My pool is clear and looks pristine however, green algae keeps reappearing. It appears within a day of brushing. Here are my results:

BR - 6 after weekly shock but drops to barely 3 within a day then to 0 the next
    PH - 7.6 - 7.8
    AL - 80
    Cal - 250
    Borate - 15
    Phosphates - 1000 since this is all it goes up to
    CYA - 0

I really don't know if there is a bromine bank. We added at least 10 lbs of sodium bromine this year after the pool company opened it, after it cleared & realized we needed a bank. Do I need to slam or super shock it to keep the algae gone? Or do I need to reduce my phosphates and or increase the borates? Then is it a matter of adding a gallon or two of bleach every day to keep the levels up?
    Thanks for any help!
    ~Joyce, W Chester, PA, 17k gal IG BROMINE gunite, 3 yr old plaster, 16 yr old WhisperFlo pump, 4000 Series DE filter & in-line brominator, heater used only to heat spillover spa few times a year, barracuda cleaner, 2 skimmers, spa bubbles & spills over into pool w/pump running 7 hrs/day, T2106, borate & phosphate strips,

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Inherited bromine!

Welcome to TFP

unfortunately this happens very much with bromine pools and spa's, I think you are about the 5th person trying to fix a bromine pool.. Here is about all the info we have on them to help you out.. How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?)

I wish I could help more, I changed my spa to chlorine because I could never get bromine to work without algae, pink, white, and black... yuck
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **