In-Ground, Pool-Connected Spa Bird Deterrent

NLITP

Gold Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix
So, I've read lots of posts where people are trying to scare birds away from their pools using fake owls and snakes, etc.

In my case, the in-ground, attached spa is like the water cooler at work. The lowest part of the spa (where water flows over into the pool), is where the birds hang out, drink and poop. And, of course, since it is a popular place, they poop all around the spa, too. In this 110+ degree weather, it bakes on the decking and can remove paint when removed.

Has anyone tried handcrafting a bridge that would span the tallest parts of the spa? This would allow water to still pass under the bridge, but the bridge would be too high for a bird to sit on and drink (would be the same height as the rest of the decking around the pool).

It would be easy to build using wood and would not be making any contact with the water. But, if it were to ever rain, I'm wondering if it would allow sap or some other unwanted thing to get into the pool(?). Plastic may also work, I'm just not sure how I'd make one from plastic.

I can whip together a drawing if this is not making sense to anyone.

If anyone has already made such a contraption, I'd love to see your pics and know what you made it out of.

if you used cedar or teak I don't think you would get any sap and if you sealed it it should last for a long time..

Being a Florida Gator fan I made a point to ask a customer if they were as well based on 4 floating gator heads in the pool and 1 in the spa. They replied no ( were Aggie fans....) and that the gator heads keep the birds away. True story!

So, far my plywood strips are working like a champ. All around the spa is free and clear. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. I'm going out to buy some proper wood... then seal and paint. Thanks!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.