Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why is my chlorine Rising?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why is my chlorine Rising?

Drained water from the pool yesterday. Didn't bother to check chems since 6/27 but added 2lbs of Ch.

Today's test results <it poured again today but no draining>
    FAC 7! I did this twice bc I couldn't believe it. It was 5.5 6/26 and 5 6/25
    CH 325
    TA 80
    CYA 55
    pH 7.5

SWG is at 32%. My husband turned it off. I did add a little bleach but that was like last week 6/23 when it was only 3

this I don't understand. Can someone explain it to me?
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump (new 6/17) /Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why is my chlorine Rising?

You may need to turn down your SWG a tiny bit. Or run less time.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I tested my FAc this morning. still the same - 7.5...sigh...and I so wanted the chems to be perfect for the 4th... the SWG has been turned off since last night....
    19k SW IG

4. Back To Top    #4

Your FC is fine ... actually you want it to start a little high before heavy use.

Remember it is perfectly safe to swim up to the shock FC level for your CYA level ... and likely no one would even notice.

I would turn the SWG back on, maybe drop the output slightly. But like I said, you want to start the FC high before a party so it never drops below the minimum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Your CYA is 60 (there is no halfway between 50 and 60, it goes up to the next reading) so your daily desired FC amount is 4. Now assuming you lose 2-3ppm per day with that hot Texas sun, you want your FC to actually be around 6 so that when you lose that 2ppm daily you don't drop down below your ideal level of 4. Does that make sense?
    You can tweak your SWG either by increasing/decreasing the % or by increasing/decreasing the run time. Doesn't matter which, although I personally like to run my pump longer so that it keeps the surface skimmed more.

Your readings are SPOT ON FINE!! Go swim and enjoy!!

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I would consider that a good thing, in a way.... It means that, at the present time, you don't have organics using up your FC!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, all your thoughts make good sense. on the CYA - when I can't see the dot is between the numbers so that's why they aren't solid, even numbers...

We just bought some "sock"CYA today to try!

I will turn the SWG back on

Hey, Yippee - I have a lot of stuff floating on the surface. So if I turn up my pump from 1825/75, can't remember which it is, to, say 1900, will that help with that???
    19k SW IG

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't have a variable speed pump so can't help you with those specifics, but I have turned my valves to increase the suction on the skimmer and less on the main drains. This helps skim the surface more in my pool.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain