Home from Vacation...Need Help with Chemicals

jonesf

Jun 4, 2016
Malvern, OH
So we just had our new pool installed on June 22 and left for vacation at 1:00 pm the same day. Not an ideal install at all. I was not there when the pool was filled, but I had my mother-in-law add bleach twice while we were gone. We just got home and I conducted the tests. Here are my results:

FC - 2 ppm
CC - 1 ppm
pH - 7.8
Calcium Hardness - 375
TA - 230-250 (I did the test twice to double check)
CYA - I could still see the dot after the tube was completely filled

When I plugged this into the pool calculator it said to lower the pH to 7.0-7.2 by adding acid to lower TA and then aerate to increase pH. Should I set my goal in the calculator for pH to 7.1? Then adjust accordingly.

My kids are obviously very eager to swim. How long does the process of adding the acid and then raising the pH again take? Thanks for any help!

So we just had our new pool installed on June 22 and left for vacation at 1:00 pm the same day. Not an ideal install at all. I was not there when the pool was filled, but I had my mother-in-law add bleach twice while we were gone. We just got home and I conducted the tests. Here are my results:

FC - 2 ppm
CC - 1 ppm
Calcium Hardness - 375
TA - 230-250 (I did the test twice to double check)
CYA - I could still see the dot after the tube was completely filled

When I plugged this into the pool calculator it said to lower the pH to 7.0-7.2 by adding acid to lower TA and then aerate to increase pH. Should I set my goal in the calculator for pH to 7.1? Then adjust accordingly.

My kids are obviously very eager to swim. How long does the process of adding the acid and then raising the pH again take? Thanks for any help!

Welcome to TFP! First things first, do you have one of the TFP recommended test kits? If so, do all the test again and please post all your test results (including your pH). Also we need to know how your are sanitizing the water, e.g, adding liquid bleach yourself, trichlor pucks in a floater, SWG, etc.
Secondly, begin by reading Pool School. Here's good starting place: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Pool School - Recommended Levels

I'm not an expert, but it your TA is too high. Read this article Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity to get an idea of how to do that. It can take several days or even a couple of weeks to get the TA down from the levels you show. Also, your FC should be 3-5 ppm and CYA should be 30-50 ppm.

Start with getting the FC up (add liquid bleach according to Pool Math), then add CYA. Put the CYA (also called conditioner or stabilizer) in an old sock or pantyhose and hang it in front of the water return. The CYA can take a long time to dissolve, so each time you walk past the sock give it a squeeze to stir up the contents.

Your are in the right place to get your pool looking crystal clear and easy to maintain. It will take some reading and POP (Pool Owner Patience), but it is worth the effort!

How long should I wait after adding the MA before I let me kiddos swim?

30 minutes of circulation. Retest pH 30 minutes after adding MA to verify your pH change. It helps to brush the pool below where you added the MA as well to assure that it mixes well and does not settle to the bottom. Be sure to follow TFP recommendations for adding chemicals as well. All liquid chemicals such as bleach and MA should be added slowly (pencil width stream) in front of a running wall return. With MA, fumes are often generated and it's worse if air humidity is high. Be sure to have the wind at your back when adding MA. It also helps to allow the container to float in the water with the mouth just above the water surface so it's not so hard on the arms and wrist while adding and it decreases splashing.

Hi. I am no expert either but first u need to add your specs to your sigt line so the experts can help u. Look at others for example.

Usually on plaster pools U have to brush every day. There are plaster "rules" that u should find on your plaster website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.